• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help wanted to explain unexpected bunny death

bunnylover177

Alpha Buck
Last SUnday morning I found Apricot hidden away with a 'leave me alone I want to die' look about him. He's a 2 nd half year old English spot cross with a very relaxed personality. We did every thing you do - metacam, emeprid, critical care... and when that got no where found a vet who could find no reason for it (normal temperature, not dehydrated). He died after multiple fits that evening. The only strange thing I had noticed about him was a few weeks ago when I went to pick him up to put him on the grass he was sleeping and he stayed asleep in my arms for a few moment before slowly coming round - at the time I thought it was just typical of his relaxed attitude to being handled but now I am not so sure.
Once he had died my bunny savvy vet opened him up and could find no clear reason why he had died - teeth good, no blockages, no tumours, no brain tumours. OUr best guess is ecuniculi has caused brain leisons (which can't be seen normally) - he showed no sign of any other problems though - no head tilt, no walking problems..
I hate it when they die young and I hate it when there is no obvous cause.
Has anyone else had this kind of experience?

PS We're givng his companion a course of panacur just in case although she seems fine.

I am very sorry for your loss :cry: Unfortunately PMs dont always provide answers. Often very detailed tissue/body fluid sampling is required and even then the results may be inconclusive.

RIP Apricot xx :cry:

Oh Jill, so sorry you lost him so young, he was such a gorgeous bun, it's awful when you can't find a reason, much like how I lost Womble :(

I'm so sorry to hear this. It must be especially hard to lose them when you don't know the reason why. Sleep tight little one.

Sounds like EC to me. Some rabbits react differently to the disease. Because EC is a parasite protozoa, when they attack the body, they attack in different places causing different symptoms. most of the time the protozoa attack the part of the brain where balance,motor function and coordination is located causing the traditional hind limb paralysis, wry neck *head tilt* etc. If the protozoa attack the cortex (the upper outer layers of the brain that control electrical impulses it can result in seizures *what you described with him falling off to sleep for a moment sounds very much like an absence seizure, the animal/human loses consciousness for just a few seconds* these seizures continue until one happens that they cannot recover from.

I am so sorry you lost Apricot. :cry: I have never had a pm done, so have never really known what my bunnies passed away with. As they were older, I accepted it must have been their age. I only know one was a heart attack from a fright from a fox.

Very sorry you didn't get an answer.

Back