• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best company to insure rabbit rwith

Rosie42

Mama Doe
I'm a bit clueless with everything insurance based and I don't want to think I've got a good deal only to find that when I need the insurance, they won't pay out. So I'm just wondering who you are all with? I've had a look and am getting fed up with the amount of places that will only insure cats and dogs.

I had petplan recommended to me by a friend but my quote was nearly 12 quid a month and she assured me that she was only paying 8, so I'm not sure how that works out.

Also what is the average amount I should expect to be paying? Luna is two, and will be getting spayed soon so I'm thinking I should probably wait until after she is spayed to get the insurance? Or will the fact that she isn't yet spayed make any difference?

Last edited:
I use Petplan at £8.00 per bunny per month.

I am with them as they have paid out to both myself and family members each time we have needed them (read the small print though - you need to be up to date with certain health checks etc to be able to claim so make sure you comply to them to keep your insurance from being void).

They are not unfair with the health checks they expect to be up to date, they are really just the basics that should be done anyway.

I hope this helps x

in regards to before or after spaying, as long as you insure more than 14 days before the op, any complications will be covered so puts a bit of piece of mind there regarding vets bills (although the procedure itself will not be covered).

in regards to before or after spaying, as long as you insure more than 14 days before the op, any complications will be covered so puts a bit of piece of mind there regarding vets bills (although the procedure itself will not be covered).

Complications regarding the spay wouldn't be covered either sadly as it would be elective surgery and its repurcussions, even though it is potentially life saving operation. JemimaH (think that user name is right) had problems with this the post-spay complications cost somewhere in the region of ?£200 and the insurance wouldn't cover it.

I would insure before the spay. My reasoning is if they find anything unrelated to the spay it's then logged as a pre-existing conditiion and won't be covered by insurance, if the insurance is already in place when it's found then it will be covered. My example is Little Dot was found to have a tape worm cyst in her abdominal cavity when the vet spayed her - if this went on to cause problems in the future I wouldn't have been insured for it.

I can thoroughly recommend Pet Plan, they've always paid out for my claims, they are more pricy than some of the others but it's a case of you get what you pay for. I'm also happy with my dealing with Pets @ Home, as a 'budget' option I've found them to be very good.

My quote on pet plan is £11 a month. Is this because she is two years old rather than a baby? The quote for pets at home is £7.50, but they seem to have a separate bit to cover dental stuff. Is that still covered through pet plan?

My quote on pet plan is £11 a month. Is this because she is two years old rather than a baby? The quote for pets at home is £7.50, but they seem to have a separate bit to cover dental stuff. Is that still covered through pet plan?

Geographical area can make a lot of difference in premium costs - if out of hours costs are high in your area then the premiums will be higher than somewhere that the costs are cheaper, for example.

Age does also come into it but I'd still expect insurance to be low at 2 years old. It's hard to work out why premiums are set as they are. Esme is 5 and with Pet Plan and £168 a year; Dinky is 6 and with Pets @ Home and £81 a year!! However Eloise is only 2 and with P@H and £92 :? I have made a claim with Eloise so I assume that has pushed up the premium. It's a real gamble which to choose - with P@H you end up paying a percentage of the bill, which to date PP don't charge, yet the excess is probably going to go really high with PP - £90 for a few of my 5+ year old bunnies.

Complications regarding the spay wouldn't be covered either sadly as it would be elective surgery and its repurcussions, even though it is potentially life saving operation. JemimaH (think that user name is right) had problems with this the post-spay complications cost somewhere in the region of ?£200 and the insurance wouldn't cover it.

I would insure before the spay. My reasoning is if they find anything unrelated to the spay it's then logged as a pre-existing conditiion and won't be covered by insurance, if the insurance is already in place when it's found then it will be covered. My example is Little Dot was found to have a tape worm cyst in her abdominal cavity when the vet spayed her - if this went on to cause problems in the future I wouldn't have been insured for it.

I can thoroughly recommend Pet Plan, they've always paid out for my claims, they are more pricy than some of the others but it's a case of you get what you pay for. I'm also happy with my dealing with Pets @ Home, as a 'budget' option I've found them to be very good.

I don't remember seeing any such exclusion - I'm with Petplan.:shock:

Geographical area can make a lot of difference in premium costs - if out of hours costs are high in your area then the premiums will be higher than somewhere that the costs are cheaper, for example.

Age does also come into it but I'd still expect insurance to be low at 2 years old. It's hard to work out why premiums are set as they are. Esme is 5 and with Pet Plan and £168 a year; Dinky is 6 and with Pets @ Home and £81 a year!! However Eloise is only 2 and with P@H and £92 :? I have made a claim with Eloise so I assume that has pushed up the premium. It's a real gamble which to choose - with P@H you end up paying a percentage of the bill, which to date PP don't charge, yet the excess is probably going to go really high with PP - £90 for a few of my 5+ year old bunnies.

My friend lives 20 odd miles away from me and she lives right next to the emergency vets that is the same one that is local to both of us. Her bunnies (who are about 6 -7 months old) are being insured for £8 a month.

The excess on pet plan is £55 and p@h is £75. And this is without me mentioning to them that she has been to the vets a couple of times this year with stasis (although I am now 99% sure that this is stress related, so not any big underlying condition). I think I'm going to have to phone them up and chat to them.

The case I recall with JemimaH the doe that was spayed went on to have cystitis (? I think) not directly related to the spay but deemed to have been brought on by the stress of the surgery - I was convinced insurance would cover it as a separate condition but they said not, that as it was related to the spay it wasn't covered:(.

My 4 are with petplan, about £10 each. They have been awesome and never refused a claim; I've claimed a lot in the last year. PAH seem to be a lot more picky about what they will pay out for, a lot of people have had major problems with them :wave:

Thank you for your input everyone :) I have gone with pet plan. It worked out at £11 a month as there was a 10% discount online. The only thing is that she has a 12 month period where she is not covered for gastro-intestinal issues because of the stasis that she has been through recently (although it was stress-related). If she manages to get through the next 12 months without another case of it then she will be covered, but if not then she will not.

Thank you for your input everyone :) I have gone with pet plan. It worked out at £11 a month as there was a 10% discount online. The only thing is that she has a 12 month period where she is not covered for gastro-intestinal issues because of the stasis that she has been through recently (although it was stress-related). If she manages to get through the next 12 months without another case of it then she will be covered, but if not then she will not.

That's interesting. PP once told me re Rudy that the exclusion could be lifted "after a certain amount of time" but couldn't tell me how long, then later told me his exclusion (same as you've given above) would never be lifted, I wish they'd make their minds up. Glad you got a definite timescale out of them.

I am with them as they have paid out to both myself and family members each time we have needed them (read the small print though - you need to be up to date with certain health checks etc to be able to claim so make sure you comply to them to keep your insurance from being void).

They are not unfair with the health checks they expect to be up to date, they are really just the basics that should be done anyway.

I hope this helps x

PetPlan quotes me £14 a month for a 5 months old! Pets at Home quotes £7, although for ethical reasons we don't shop there so won't use their insurance. PetPlan is for life though, so I guess that's important. Helpucover is quoting me near £20 a month!

I hope this helps x

Do they cover dental things at this price?

I had one of my bunnies insured with petplan, he was seriously poorly after a routine neuter op, our vet bills ended up over £2,000 and pet plan didn't cover because they said it was related to his neuter op.

Back