• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Don't Know What To Do - Gumtree (RC)

happybunny

Mama Doe
Following on from my thread about facebook groups selling rabbits I did actually fall in love with a bunny for sale on one of them.

I convinced hubby that we had room for her and contacted the seller. It turned out the bunny was female, 3 years old and neutered. I offered her a home and have since been waiting 2 weeks for her to get back to me. I have chased a couple of times and I keep getting told she need to speak to her husband. She never asked anything about me and where the bunny would be going so I have no idea why she just won't say that the bunny is no longer available or what ever. Anyway, last night I decided that I have to forget about the bunny :(:(:(:(

I stupidly looked on Gumtree (hate the fact it shows you adds on Yahoo mail) and came across a hutch for sale (with free rabbit). The hutch was awful. I think it is 4 foot but half is the bedroom (no light) and the other half has such thick wood the actual opening is very small. There were 3 photos of the hutch and 2 blurred ones of the bunny.

I messaged them and asked if they would rehome the bunny free to a good home without the hutch. I then appraoched hubby. After seeing the hutch he agreed to adopting the bunny even though it will be a 2.5 / 3 hour round trip to collect. I quickly got an answer back from the seller saying yes we could have the bunny seperate. I then asked if they knew the sex of the bunny and if it had any health issues. This is the response I got:

"I Got 1 male & 2 female's. They're all healthy & had no problems with any"

Now what do I do? I only messaged them as I thought it was 1 rabbit in a hutch that needs to be destroyed. I don't have room for 3 (I assume single) bunnies and I doubt I could convince hubby we shuold take them all. But then how could I go collect 1 bunny and leave the other 2 who probably have the same hutch???

Help!!

If they aren't neutered and you wanted to take them all, could you have them fostered until they are ready to be bonded?

Gumtree is dangerous, there are hundreds of animals in exactly the same situation and sadly we can't help them all :(

I don't know anyone local to me who could help short term. Also I would not be able to take them on if they did not bond. I was already intending to bond the single to one of my groups but had the back up that I could accomodate them should it not work out. I could not say the same for 3.

I know Gumtree is dangerous. I having been trying very hard not to look and now I wish I hadn't. :(:(

Remember guys that if you find any ads where you have major concerns for a particular bunny you can send me a pm. We have organized for rescues to take rabbits in dire need in the past :wave:

If they are all in the same hutch won't the two females be pregnant?

Much as we hate doing it we always pay for the hutches and take them too. That way they can be smashed up so no other bunny ever lives in it

Thank you for your replies.

I don't think the original rabbits situation is any worse than many free ads. It is in a situation that most on here woul say was unacceptable but that is a minority opinion in the "real world".

The photo on the ad only shows 1 rabbit. I would assume he/she is on her own. I am assuming the other 2 rabbits are either together in a similar hutch or in seperate similar hutches.

I have thought about the issue of the hutch and if leave it, it may be sold to another potential rabbit owner. However, I only have a small car and even if I could get the hutch in it the distance would not be suitable for a hutch hanging out of car boot scenario (where I would normally travel on back roads a lot slower than speed limits).

I have messages the seller again asking if all 3 rabbits are looking for homes. I am waiting for a response.

Back