• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Northern shoveler duck in my yard...hybrid? Pet?

William

Wise Old Thumper
I have a northern shoveler duck in my yard, but it has weird coloring...do you think it's normal (maybe immature female) coloring or is it possibly a hybrid? Also, I'm in Florida and I thought northern shovelers were only in Florida during the winter :? If that's true then I wonder if it's someone's pet...

She's been hanging out with these 2 mallards all day. whatever she is she's really adorable! :love: hope she sticks around!

IMG_9581 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_9578 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_9579 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_9576 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_9575 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_9572 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_9571 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_9565 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_9567 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_9568 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_9569 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

I thought boy ducks had that coloured head and females are brown.

Ah just checked google and the colour is all wrong for male or female.

If it were a pet maybe it's been malnourished and is a normal duck? Just a young one?

From the shape of the beak (flat and large) he could be a hybrid. However it's time for moult for boy ducks and in the end he'll look a lot like a female. He'll gain back his beautiful colours before spring, when it's time to mate.

yeah, I can't find any that are this color either, but it definitely has the distinct spoonbill of a northern shoveler so it must be at least part northern shoveler. I suppose it must be a pet because surely it wouldn't be in Florida at this time of year if it were wild. I wonder if it's escaped or what:?

Back