• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bizarre Episode of non eating

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Friday night I noticed Sebastian was quiet, he ate food I put infront of him but didn't come dashing out like he normally does for it. Imogen was fine. I took him to the vets yesterday who prescribed 1.5-3kg dose of meloxidle and 0.75ml of metaclop as he still wasn't right but he was eating things here are there. He took a fair amount of mushed up pellets, some lavender and has nibbled hay, he's the same again this morning (but refusing pellets) but now Imogen is in on it too :? again she's eating hay, a few pellets, took some mushed up food but not interested in greens. Poos are fairly small, no small amounts of hair but they are still happening, no excess caecos.

Sebastian normally gets pretty grumpy when is stasis, throwing things around but he tends to eat things by accident when doing this so I'm ok with that but they both seem determined to make a nest :? there is lots of hay digging, pushing hay with their front paws and trying to move it around in their mouths. Sebastian is currently underneath a pile of hay which is hilarious but very strange behaviour for him.

I'm am so confused, the vet wanted to take a look at Sebastians teeth under GA today if there was no improvement as he wouldn't stop chewing the scope but I'm not willing to do that so quickly however if there is no improvement tomorrow I will be taking both back to see my favourite vet.

typically the moment I press send they both start eating pellets :roll: although no where near as much/quickly/enthusiastically as much as normal

poos
2s953e8.jpg

Sebastian tunneling/nesting or whatever it is he is trying to do

Hm, perhaps it's just the weather? A fair few rabbits have stopped/slowed their eating of specific food during this warm spell. Mine are just as enthusiastic about their pellets but aren't getting THAT excited about hay, which they normally do.

Ahaha, I love the video! Perhaps he's thinking that if he digs down, it will be cooler? :lol:

I have no idea, he's stopped doing it now :roll::lol: typically they both started eating, they aren't normal by any standards but I'm wondering if having the fan on them is helping because they're sat where it's pointing (plenty of places to escape) and have really perked up since I turned it on. I suppose I won't know until I put them back outdoors, but if that's the case they'll have to be in during the day and out over night because I can't put an electric fan outside

plenty of eating and drinking, excited about their breakfast this morning too :thumb: poos aren't quite back to normal yet but well on the way

I was also starting to worry about my bun when it was so hot as he was just flat out all day and would eat if it was put in front of him but not running to me as he usually does, totally different behaviour and was expecting one of his tummy episodes but it was just the heat as when it cooled down here two days ago he went totally back to normal.

Hope thats whats been wrong with your buns.

I think it was probably a mix of heat and moulting and then because they'd not felt like eating their guts had started to slow down, caught it in time I think :) they're staying in tonight and will go back outside tomorrow. I really need to work out if there is some way I can put a proper fan outside for them

Back