• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies and their grass :)

elmoandfern

Mama Doe
I've been growing grass for my buns in an old dog bed to liven up their big boring run :) I've given them a handful or so every day for a few weeks to get them used to it, and yesterday I put the whole thing in. Fern was a bit suspicious at first but they both loved it! :love::love::love:

b535d5bb56f206625f8e63b3aebd9753_zpsdab172f8.jpg

bb8d8e9d8618cd9a119014605a694f15_zps40e3c0c2.jpg

b3ad11fd9f339b36ba271eb9c86159a9_zpsbb40d815.jpg

79873af55ffa6d97fbac834bb9610e3a_zpsfdcfe7a6.jpg

I did take it away after about 20 minutes as they were really gorging on it, does anyone know whether it's ok for them to have it full time, or will it upset their tummies? I could keep giving it them for half an hour a day for a bit, would that help? Thanks :wave:

I've been growing grass for my buns in an old dog bed to liven up their big boring run :) I've given them a handful or so every day for a few weeks to get them used to it, and yesterday I put the whole thing in. Fern was a bit suspicious at first but they both loved it! :love::love::love:

b535d5bb56f206625f8e63b3aebd9753_zpsdab172f8.jpg

bb8d8e9d8618cd9a119014605a694f15_zps40e3c0c2.jpg

b3ad11fd9f339b36ba271eb9c86159a9_zpsbb40d815.jpg

79873af55ffa6d97fbac834bb9610e3a_zpsfdcfe7a6.jpg

I did take it away after about 20 minutes as they were really gorging on it, does anyone know whether it's ok for them to have it full time, or will it upset their tummies? I could keep giving it them for half an hour a day for a bit, would that help? Thanks :wave:
Tha'ts a fab idea!
This may sound like a daft question but how did you go about doing that? What kind of grass seeds did you use and are any seed packs you buy in any shop safe for bunnies? Also did you use compost or soil? Not hard to tell I'm a 26 year old girl with no gardening knowledge :lol:

Thanks everyone :)

Tha'ts a fab idea!
This may sound like a daft question but how did you go about doing that? What kind of grass seeds did you use and are any seed packs you buy in any shop safe for bunnies? Also did you use compost or soil? Not hard to tell I'm a 26 year old girl with no gardening knowledge :lol:
Check Sprouts Ad and Albertsons Ad.

Not a daft question, I actually found it really complicated to work everything out!:lol: i used just regular lawn seed, I think it was sure start, I checked with the garden centre staff and they said nothing is added so it's safe :thumb: I planted it in organic compost cos I couldn't find organic soil, but apparently that doesn't matter cos the chemicals work themselves out of the soil or something? I'm not sure! It wasn't great growing in compost though cos it dries out quicker so I've been watering it like a crazy lady :lol:

That's a great idea for a container.

I did one in a large seed tray for Dylan. He just slept on it and squashed most of the grass. I used Timothy hay seeds which I got on line.

I've been wondering about doing one for Hector given his total refusal to eat hay but was also wondering what would be large enough. Now I know!!

They look so adorable, what cute little faces :love: and the dog bed is a great idea.

Considering my rabbits eat the grass in our garden all day every day (we don't often need to mow the lawn :lol:), as do wild rabbits, and rabbits on grass runs, they'd be fine having it in their all the time! Obviously they'd need to get used to eating more grass, but you've said that you've worked up to this so I'm sure you can just leave it in now and keep an eye on their tummies. :D

Looks fab! If buns aren't used to being on grass I'd limit the time they have to nibble on it incase it upsets their stomachs given that buns are such fragile creatures when it comes to their digestion.

:wave: Hello,
The dog bed looks great! I love the idea.
The only thing I would say is to have a second container with more grass seeds growing so that you can swap them over tho allow the grass to regenerate. I have quite a few old litter trays with grass planted in a similar way and as mine get through it quite fast I rotate them fairly often. I also drilled small holes at the bottom of the trays to allow a bit of drainage.
Kate x
Bunmum to Acorn and Skye

Thanks everyone :)

Not a daft question, I actually found it really complicated to work everything out!:lol: i used just regular lawn seed, I think it was sure start, I checked with the garden centre staff and they said nothing is added so it's safe :thumb: I planted it in organic compost cos I couldn't find organic soil, but apparently that doesn't matter cos the chemicals work themselves out of the soil or something? I'm not sure! It wasn't great growing in compost though cos it dries out quicker so I've been watering it like a crazy lady :lol:

Thank you for all this info + not making me feel stoopid :lol: I am definitely going to try this, I think its a brilliant idea for my house bunny as the grass in our garden is full of weeds so I'm too frightened to give him it incase it would do him harm. I shall attempt to grow nice fresh grass like yours :D

Can't believe I missed this cuteness, I absolutely love Elmo & fern :love:

They have got to be one of the most perfect pairs :love:

Fern reminds me of my precious Bella, I really want a rescue Rex'y Girl to add to my bunnies but I don't want to be too ambitious.

The grass Looks lush, very green and yummy! Lucky bunnies.

Brilliant idea! It looks great. Although now you've gradually introduced it they'd be okay eating full time, I think you'll probably find you need to take it out so the grass can have a break or it will be razed to the ground and no have a chance to grow now they have a taste for it :lol:

I've grown normal lawn seed and also a timothy grass seed for my buns. The timothy grass seed grows waaaaaay faster and also has big thick shoots. I would recommend getting that if you can! I bought mine from someone on ebay but I think galens garden sells it too

Last edited:
Thank you for all the tips! :wave: I think im going to get some Timothy grass seed and grow a second one so I can rotate, the dogs won't mind giving up another bed :D

Can't believe I missed this cuteness, I absolutely love Elmo & fern :love:

They have got to be one of the most perfect pairs :love:

Fern reminds me of my precious Bella, I really want a rescue Rex'y Girl to add to my bunnies but I don't want to be too ambitious.

The grass Looks lush, very green and yummy! Lucky bunnies.

thank you :love::love: i still get a fuzzy feeling when i see them together cos it was such a nightmare to bond them! i've seen quite a few rexes in rescues so you never know! :D

Back