• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about fly strike :(

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
My next door neighbour has just been round they have an infestation of maggots in their house :shock:
Terrified now about Bear and Alice getting fly strike, I'm checking there bottys everyday, but can't close the window to stop the flys getting in as their room is so hot.
Is there anything else I can do to help? There suffering with the heat already poor mites :(

People think that half filling a zip bag with water and a few pennies hung by a window keeps away flies! Don't know if it works but may be worth a try? Like anything some people say it really works and some say it don't :wave:

Thanks.
Alice has slightly mucky scent glands so I'm really nervous.
I'm going to to for the netting thanks Jane. And try and have a go at her scent gland as well even though I don't think ill get very far she's such a grumpy little thing and won't hold still!

You could try Citronella oil as well.

I had to kill a big fly yesterday, don't like doing it but it just would not go out and I was heading out and didn't want to leave it in with my buns.

Such a good job I did, it was full of eggs :shock: :mrgreen:

People think that half filling a zip bag with water and a few pennies hung by a window keeps away flies! Don't know if it works but may be worth a try? Like anything some people say it really works and some say it don't :wave:

I've done this in front of Donny and Lola's shed door and its worked! I didn't believe it would :lol:

Thanks.
Alice has slightly mucky scent glands so I'm really nervous.
I'm going to to for the netting thanks Jane. And try and have a go at her scent gland as well even though I don't think ill get very far she's such a grumpy little thing and won't hold still!

charlie is the same- he is a mini lop but so fluffy 'down there' LOL i just had to tackle bum checking with mum holding him and he forcibly closed his legs, putting his feet in the way!!!!! i had a look but i think he is ok- he is all dry and clean although a few stains from ceaclas from all his fluffyness.:roll:

I have just found some maggots in my kitchen (only a small amount) and now I am terrified. Just checked Jasper over, he looks ok, but its difficult to see down there to be honest. His one plum is huge as well and keeps getting int he way!

If I'm honest I'm not sure if I'm even checking them right !!! I just turn them on their back so I can see if they have anything near their genitals, or above / under tail etc... is this correct? is there anything else i'm meant to be doing? :oops:

think i mgiht go and get some rearguard tomorrow for added peace of mind.

I have just found some maggots in my kitchen (only a small amount) and now I am terrified. Just checked Jasper over, he looks ok, but its difficult to see down there to be honest. His one plum is huge as well and keeps getting int he way!

If I'm honest I'm not sure if I'm even checking them right !!! I just turn them on their back so I can see if they have anything near their genitals, or above / under tail etc... is this correct? is there anything else i'm meant to be doing? :oops:

think i mgiht go and get some rearguard tomorrow for added peace of mind.

im sorry but this made me giggle :lol: however i know it is so scary! sounds like you are doing the right thing though. ive had a bun die from flystrike and its usually pretty clear when somethings not right. i still freak out though....

Back