• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

*Be aware of fly strike* update post number 54

Mrs. Bunnykins

Wise Old Thumper
....................tucked away in Estelle's anal scent glands!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only four of them and all removed now. I've checked, double checked and triple checked her. I can't see that any skin has been broken so they must have only just hatched out. Phew.......................what a worry these little ones can be. Estelle is a very clean bunny and never has any dirty bottom issues. I've cleaned her up, popped some bunny friendly antiseptic in her glands and given her a dose of baytril just in case there is any infection. I'll keep her on that for a few days just in case. Off to buy some rearguard now.

Check and check again.

So folks be very alert to flystrike...even the most experienced owners can get caught out

Last edited:
That's worrying. I am at work doing a 10.5 hour shift as I did yesterday and can't leave the building to go home and check on the buns. I have so little work at the moment I have to take what I am offered but I do stress about leaving the buns for so long. Another reason I wish I had an OH:(

That's worrying. I am at work doing a 10.5 hour shift as I did yesterday and can't leave the building to go home and check on the buns. I have so little work at the moment I have to take what I am offered but I do stress about leaving the buns for so long. Another reason I wish I had an OH:(

i know how you feel, i'm a single bunny-mummy too. even an extra pair of hands is helpfull, one pair to hold the bun and the other to do the bum check.

my buns are indoors and i am very carefull about leaving windows open without me being in the room, if flys do get inside (which is rare) i hunt them down and murder them!!

peterjames

Would scare me. But as my bunny is always eating his poo from his bottom, I am sure he would do something about that himself. Well I hope he would

Would scare me. But as my bunny is always eating his poo from his bottom, I am sure he would do something about that himself. Well I hope he would

All healthy rabbits eat poo from their bottom, rabbits can't really do anything about maggots in their scent glands.

All healthy rabbits eat poo from their bottom, rabbits can't really do anything about maggots in their scent glands.

Correct!:thumb:

These four maggots were tucked away right down in Estelle's scent glands. At first I thought there was just some white coloured debris there.....and then upon closer inspection........:shock::shock::shock: There is no way she could have reached down inside there.

So folks, even though your bunnies may not enjoy being handled and gently turned upside down to fully inspect them, this has to be done......carefully, slowly and meticulously. And be fully prepared just in case the worst has happened.

I'd rather have a slightly stressed out bunny than one who is being eaten alive.

Thank you for the reminder. I have two rabbits who hate being handled but still have twice daily bum checks. I am covered in scratches but their care comes first. They currently have fly free on which has to be put on once a week.

peterjames

Will check. Hope he does not mind, It being so undignified. He spends all the time running out, or sleeping on the balcony

Will check. Hope he does not mind, It being so undignified. He spends all the time running out, or sleeping on the balcony

It is so undignified..........but can save their lives.

If I hadn't checked Estelle for a few days, the chances are that she would have had to be pts. Basically because of my negligence and this in turn causing her to be eaten alive. An absolutely horrific and painful way to die.

How many bunnies are out there which are quieter than usual? It could just be the heat...............and it could be flystrike. By the time some owners bother to find out....................it's too late for many bunnies.:cry:

You've got to be vigilant at all times as there is no margin for error.

Last edited:
I check Louie's botty everyday but I don't know how to even find a scent gland let alone check them :?

This is so scary. I check Pippin everyday but not right in her scent glands as I don't want to panic her :( I guess I will now.

I check Louie's botty everyday but I don't know how to even find a scent gland let alone check them :?

When you look at their little private bits....on either side is a little thin sort of slit, this opens up and is where they can get blocked and as I've discovered even with Estelle having relatively clean glands...where flies will and can target to lay their eggs. This area is extremely delicate and has very thin skin around it. Be gentle and patient when investigating.

Someone once thought the smell from their glands was rather like coffee. It might have been Jack's Jane.

Be prepared though, the smell is not the most pleasant and also you never know what you might find.

Just found this.http://brighteyessanctuary.org/educ/rabbit-info-scent-glands.html

Last edited:
do buns with flystrike display different behaviour? im trying to figure out what signs there would be :S i have been checking my buns bums regularly (everyone thinks im mad)

do buns with flystrike display different behaviour? im trying to figure out what signs there would be :S i have been checking my buns bums regularly (everyone thinks im mad)

Quiet, reserved, uncomfortable, lack of appetite, not wanting to move around much, basically getting more and more withdrawn.

Bottie checks on bunnies are an essential part of your daily routine, especially whilst the flies are around.

http://www.saveafluff.co.uk/rabbit-info/flystrike-in-rabbits

Last edited:
charlie has blocked glands but have been stuggling to clean them as im scared i'll tear his skin :(

I get prepared beforehand.

I use 2 two bowls of tepid water, one to initially clean the scent glands and the second to use afterwards if I have had to remove any debris. 6-5 cotton wools buds to gently help clean them out and afterwards I use some soft tissue to wipe away any remaining water.

Some folk may have different ways of doing this, but for me this works well.

And don't forget..........be very gentle and patient. You don't want to stress and or hurt bunny in any way.

It's not a pleasant job, but a much better than fishing out maggots with tweezers!!!!!! Totally gross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:censored:

Whenever I try to check Humphrey he wriggles and bites and scratches, despite being friendly and licky most of the time.. It's impossible. :(

Back