• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Megazorb smell

rachglos

Warren Scout
For the last week I have been using megazorb from a new bag, each night when I come in I can smell it, horrible foul cow dung type of smell, I have just redone the buns tray & it stinks. It must be this new bag, white plastic instead of the hessian type stuff, as I have never had it smell before. I have another bag in the same wrapping & hope it's not going to smell the same.
It's expensive stuff so don't want to throw it away but my house smells nasty :cry:

Has anybody else had this problem?

My last bag was in the hessian style one and it was fine so it may well be the new bag. I can't use it any more though as it agitates my throat/chest! Use Fitch now and it's fab :love:

weird :? mine always smells of yogurt. Could you get a photo of the bag please, I'm almost out and want to avoid the bags you had :wave:

weird :? mine always smells of yogurt. Could you get a photo of the bag please, I'm almost out and want to avoid the bags you had :wave:

My camera is playing up at the mo, it's basically thick white plastic rather than the hessian type, which I guess breaths & let's out the smell.

They have changed the packaging you can only get it in the plastic bags now can't you unless you get old stock?

I have had a vinegar type smell before and megazorb say the smell is dependent upon the raw materials used and not harmful

I have written to the hay experts to see if they can tell me if this is the new packaging, if it is I won't be buying any more, my house smells horrible & don't want to chance what smell I might get next time.
Somebody mentioned Fitch so I'm going to look that up. :thumb:

I just got some in the new plastic bags and it stinks! Have used it for years with no problem, its a,so much dustier so I will be complaining!

Have a look at hempcore if you're thinking of switching.

(I found megazorb to be foul smelling and just really badly affected my asthma and just went EVERYWHERE)

Oh noooooooo I was going to get some megazorb when my aubiose runs out. (I did not get in with it, it's too spiky.)

Maybe I should try fitch instead. Hmmmm. Or hempcore. I will do some research.

I actually used to like the smell of megazorb and looked forward to cleaning my hamster out so I could get some fresh stuff!

How funny I found this link on google about fitch and it turns out its a link to RU. :lol:

Where do you order it from ?

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?385953-Received-my-Fitch-bedding-0)

If you type 'Fitch recycled bedding' into google their website will come up :) you can buy it off ebay too, the 22kg bag is more value for money and its sooo compressed! I thought I had the wrong bag.. But I've cleaned 2 100cm x 50cm hamster cages with it and filled the bases and used loads in a 62L storage box litter tray which is cleaned daily, yet it doesn't even look like we've touched it! :D

If you type 'Fitch recycled bedding' into google their website will come up :) you can buy it off ebay too, the 22kg bag is more value for money and its sooo compressed! I thought I had the wrong bag.. But I've cleaned 2 100cm x 50cm hamster cages with it and filled the bases and used loads in a 62L storage box litter tray which is cleaned daily, yet it doesn't even look like we've touched it! :D

Sounds like a great alternative, what a shame we have a full sack of megazorb. I thought it must have been me as I hadn't opened it for a week after delivery as I needed to use up the old sack, which was fine. Mr B has been using the new lot as normal but the smell really isn't nice when you first get it out. It does eventually fade but it disgusting. :mrgreen: I would like to know why it smells like that, can't be good.

I still have a sack and half of the stinky stuff and really dont want to use it any more, I have ordered Fitch so I'm waiting for that and then I might mix the 2 and see if I can reduce the smell.

I wrote to the hay experts and they explained that this is new packaging and Northern Crop will not be thinking about changing it back, they do state that it's not for small animals and the smell will depend on the raw material they have used but it seems very strange to me that after years of using it, with no smell, they change the packaging and it stinks.
I have today sent a sample to the hay experts as they are going to go back to Northern crop.

I will never order it again as I simply can't stand the smell, its nasty to walk into your house and smell vomit/cow dung!

Unfortanietly this also means that I will see no reason to use the hay experts website, I can get all the others bits I want from other places, with no postage and only used them to do big orders as I wanted the megazorb. :(

That explains it! I thought I was going nuts, or the buns were hiding cecals somewhere because the smell has been foul. But it has been since the new bag :roll: why mess with a good thing?!

Yes, this is why we use woodshavings, despite the advice against it, as we found megazorb and carefresh to be very unpleasant smelling.

Back