• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescued an Eastern Mole U/D Rescued another one!

William

Wise Old Thumper
When we were walking the dogs early this morning we found a cat with a mole so I brought the mole home and released it in my backyard! :D I put it in a patch of sand and when I came back later it had made a hole and left! :) Hopefully it was ok. It didn't seem to have any wounds, just wet fur on its back from where I assume the cat had it in its mouth, but then animals often die from shock after being caught and played with by cats.

Wish I could have kept it. I've always loved moles and plan on having pet ones, they're so adorable! I know they eat a large percent of their body weight everyday though and I don't have any earthworm/grub/etc farms so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to feed it properly:(

IMG_9512 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_9517 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_9519 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_9520 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

Last edited:
I love moles :love:
Every year I try to get OH a mole themed gift because he used to hate them for digging up his cricket pitch (not so much since the mole gifts started)

I wouldn't have thought they'd make good pets though, aren't they underground virtually all the time? :?

I love moles :love:
Every year I try to get OH a mole themed gift because he used to hate them for digging up his cricket pitch (not so much since the mole gifts started)

I wouldn't have thought they'd make good pets though, aren't they underground virtually all the time? :?

yeah and they're pretty violent :shock:

I thought you'd saved a communist sleeper...:oops:

:lol::lol:

yeah they are so adorable!:love: always makes me sad when I see dead ones that the cats have killed.

Yeah they are underground most of the time but some species of fish are hidden most of the time too and they're still fun pets to keep to me :D It depends on what you want out of a pet though - if you want something to cuddle and interact with moles aren't a good choice! I think it would be cool to have a large enclosure with glass sides filled with soil and watch them tunnel around etc in it! Kinda like a gerbil habitat.

From accounts I've read they do come up when you feed them (even in the wild they often come up to eat) and you can pet them and they can be as tame as could be expected. Ive actually never seen or heard of eastern moles being aggressive, and they don't even have lower incisors so I doubt they can do much damage if they did bite! I read an account once from someone who rescued an eastern mole from their dogs and it was really tame and actually seemed to recognize the owner! I think it was really young when it was rescued though. The younger they are when you get them, the tamer they are. Plus it had to be nursed back to health so that probably tamed it up as well.

I think naked mole rats and damaraland moles are really cute and interesting as well especially because of their social behavior - they're eusocial and have structures like bees or ants!

We just rescued another mole! :shock: this one was drowning in a storm drain. we check the drains for ducklings when we walk the dogs, at first we just thought water was dripping because we could see a bit of movement, then we realized there was something in there so we looked closer and saw it was a mole! it was a lucky mole! :D we nearly didn't notice him! we fished him out with a net and he was shivering so I'm warming him a bit with a heat lamp before releasing him.

IMG_9700 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_9692 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_9725 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_9722 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_9721 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_9717 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_9706 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

No I released the other one in my backyard, I dont think there's any way it could have gotten that far. this one probably came from one of the yards that was around the drain. there's lots of moles around here, i'm always seeing mole hills. this one was also younger and smaller than the other i think.

Last edited:
Back