• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you ban pet shops selling bunnies if you could?

DarceyH

Warren Scout
If you could stop pet shops from selling rabbits right now would you?

I would, as lots of my old school friends got pet shop bunnies, and that had so many genetic problems, most likely from inbreeding and poor care.

However, at the Pets at Home store near me, they have a booth of pet homes, that all hold rescue animals (from hamsters to rabbits) that are up for adoption, they also have a small RSPCA branch at the back.

I would much rather see pet shop space be used to re-home rescues, then sell poorly raised rabbits in bulk, particularly as those who don't get sold are probably 'discarded' or hopefully sent to a rescue anyway. Rabbit breeding should be kept to registered breeders only where at all possible, however this is just my opinion, and I was interested in everyone else's.

there's an e-petition against p@h selling live animals. I posted a link but not many people seem to have noticed.

I think we should introduce mandatory licences for all pets, as a legal requirement. They needn't be complicated to get or cost loads but people would have to show their licence when they adopted or purchased an animal. It'd stop impulse buys and make people stop and think before they bought a pet. Chances are a lot of the worst owners just wouldn't bother. That'd go some way towards sorting out people who don't think before buying pets.

I also think there should be legal minimum sizes for accommodation for pets, that all manufacturers should follow.

I do agree that animals shouldn't be sold in shops but unless there was much stricter regulation of breeding than it'd just cause people to buy animals from bak yard breeders instead who quite probably wouldn't be much better than the 'farms' that pet shop animals come from.

I totally agree

I think we should introduce mandatory licences for all pets, as a legal requirement. They needn't be complicated to get or cost loads but people would have to show their licence when they adopted or purchased an animal. It'd stop impulse buys and make people stop and think before they bought a pet. Chances are a lot of the worst owners just wouldn't bother. That'd go some way towards sorting out people who don't think before buying pets.

I also think there should be legal minimum sizes for accommodation for pets, that all manufacturers should follow.

I do agree that animals shouldn't be sold in shops but unless there was much stricter regulation of breeding than it'd just cause people to buy animals from bak yard breeders instead who quite probably wouldn't be much better than the 'farms' that pet shop animals come from.

I defiantly think that people should have to get licences to own any live animal (hopefully no one keeps dead ones...) this would sort out so many cruelty problems, especially with dogs here in the uk, as I hate that some breeds are banned because they are 'dangerous' ANY dog is dangerous with an bad owner.
I also agree that people should only sell proper sized hutches as I looked for ages for a good size hutch and run for my bun, and there was no where that sold anything bigger than a 5 ft single story that looked like rain would break it! Not to mention the largest run I could find in store was 4x4. I have since ordered a custom hutch that fits rspca standard, ideally I would want it bigger, but I can't afford that at the moment, and won't have the space until I can move out from my parents after I get my degree. After that, I will have a bunny heaven!

I'm in two minds about pet shops selling bunnies. My local p@h usually has a few bunnies & guinea pigs each time I'm in and I have to say they are in large well equipped spaces with plenty of fresh food & water so I can't complain there however I think it is quite frightening for these little animals to be in these settings & having adults/kids constantly trying to get their attention etc. Last time I was in a little girl was in to pick a pet rabbit & she choose a lovely big boy to which the Mum said "he's very big and will be hard for you to handle, do you not think you should get a baby rabbit?" to which I felt like screaming in her face :evil: although I understand these animals can also be chosen to go to loving caring homes & have a great life - so I can see both good & bad points but more so the bad points so I would have to say pet shops should be banned from selling animals, I don't think pet shops care too much about the animals themselves, its just a selling market to them.

I think all pet shop should not sell furries......cats, dogs, guinea pigs, bunnies, hamsters etc they should have shops that rehome pets through rescue places xx

I'm in two minds about pet shops selling bunnies. My local p@h usually has a few bunnies & guinea pigs each time I'm in and I have to say they are in large well equipped spaces with plenty of fresh food & water so I can't complain there however I think it is quite frightening for these little animals to be in these settings & having adults/kids constantly trying to get their attention etc. Last time I was in a little girl was in to pick a pet rabbit & she choose a lovely big boy to which the Mum said "he's very big and will be hard for you to handle, do you not think you should get a baby rabbit?" to which I felt like screaming in her face :evil: although I understand these animals can also be chosen to go to loving caring homes & have a great life - so I can see both good & bad points but more so the bad points so I would have to say pet shops should be banned from selling animals, I don't think pet shops care too much about the animals themselves, its just a selling market to them.

I agree that often the shops look after the animals reasonably well. My local branch does. But it's the conditions they are bred in that I have a problem with.

Yup

I agree that often the shops look after the animals reasonably well. My local branch does. But it's the conditions they are bred in that I have a problem with.

The settings at big chain stores at pets at home are much nicer then some, and they are fed in a structured way, (as I asked while looking at their rescues, NOT their babies) however, you have no idea where they have come from, and only a very few actuall breeds are sold there, the rest are mixes with most likely a backyard breeder history. And at the small pet shops up the road, they have three baby buns to a space that I would never even put a hamster in!

I really like the idea of them rehoming rescue rabbits though shops though, as it would free up loads of space, and help kids (and their parents) responsibility and respect for animals. If people had to go through the rigorous inspections of most rehoming charity's, then they most likely would not want a rabbit, as pet shop bunny buyers usually buy pet shop bunny hutches, which are tiny! They don't want to give rabbits the space they need! They just want a cute pet for maybe a year, with no clue about the needs and life span of a bunny!

This is of course a generalisation, and I'm sure there are people who do get pets hop bunnys and know all of their needs and care for them properly.

I'd use shops as a rehoming center for rescues. I'd set up a few large setups and place rescue animals there, if someone was interested in adopting one the shop would take down the details and pass them on to the rescue who would then go through their home checking procedure and if all was well the person could adopt the animal they were interested in. It'd discourage impulse buying but bring rescues to the public view as many people just don't realise the amount of animals who need homes

Yes, although I'm not against breeding in the slightest, I'm against pet shops selling any animals because they can't possibly check everyone and every home that an animal is going to.

My thoughts exactly

I'd use shops as a rehoming center for rescues. I'd set up a few large setups and place rescue animals there, if someone was interested in adopting one the shop would take down the details and pass them on to the rescue who would then go through their home checking procedure and if all was well the person could adopt the animal they were interested in. It'd discourage impulse buying but bring rescues to the public view as many people just don't realise the amount of animals who need homes

That's my idea too, I think that's the best way to get people to realise rabbits are just as complex pets as cats and dogs, and need just as much care as they do! I find that rabbits are generally misunderstood and underrated, they are fantastic little soals with great big personalities!

Neither am I

Yes, although I'm not against breeding in the slightest, I'm against pet shops selling any animals because they can't possibly check everyone and every home that an animal is going to.

I am definitely not against breeders, but I think all should be registered, and monitored by wellfare standards, to try and cut out backyard breeding. I also think that accidental litters should not be simply given away, but that owners should responsibly find suitable homes, or go to a rescue for help homing them. I don't think pet shops are responsible enough with the rabbits that sell, it's all about profit for them, not about love of the animals.

I've got to say, after today and oter recent things I've seen, although I don't like pet shops, I think I'd stop stupid entertainment parks with animals first. :censored::censored::censored::censored:

Good ideas about the rescues and pet shops. There's no reason why rescue piggies for example couldn't be at my local P@H. They'd be just as cute. :thumb:

Entertainment parks?

I've got to say, after today and oter recent things I've seen, although I don't like pet shops, I think I'd stop stupid entertainment parks with animals first. :censored::censored::censored::censored:

Good ideas about the rescues and pet shops. There's no reason why rescue piggies for example couldn't be at my local P@H. They'd be just as cute. :thumb:

I don't think I have ever been to an entertainment park with animals before, doesn't sound good!

They have a couple of rescue piggies, rabbits and even gerbils and hamsters at my local P@H, they are so sweet!

The settings at big chain stores at pets at home are much nicer then some, and they are fed in a structured way, (as I asked while looking at their rescues, NOT their babies) however, you have no idea where they have come from, and only a very few actuall breeds are sold there, the rest are mixes with most likely a backyard breeder history.

As far as I'm aware P@H get their stock from big breeding farms where the animals are kept in small cages and produce litter after litter, so worse than back yard breeders in my view. I read an article about these 'farms' once, complete with pictures. It was very sad for the animals involved.

This! :thumb::thumb:

I think rabbits should be sold in pet shops, but only if their conditions meet the requirements, that way, people will see how much space they need, whereas a lot of breeders keep their animals in small spaces which shows the wrong way to keep animals. If pet shops used the power of influence that they have responsibly, then they could be brilliant places to sell animals. :thumb:

Back