• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Orphan baby wild mouse <3 ud/ new video ud/Apollo died :(

Jaffacake

Alpha Buck
Sachmis brought in the first animal for about 6 months today- a baby wild mouse. She was sat in front of the dryer at about 10am this morning, and we thought- oh maybe she got a mouse! But then we couldn't see one, so went out- she has 4 bells on her collar so we didn't think there was much chance of her catching anything. We got back at 1:30 and she was still sat there... so I shined a torch under there and saw a tail :shock:
She'd caught a baby mouse! Poor thing had been there for 3-4 hours and wasn't really responding to anything :(
We have a plastic tank for when the cats catch things, and we usually put them in the tank and give them food and water for a day or two and then release them in a sheltered spot away from our house (with a supply of oats to tide them by). But this little one is waaaay too little. I've been looking at orphan mouse raising advice and have been feeding lacto free milk from a paintbrush that he latches onto and sucks on- as well as rolled oats, split peas, grape, and mushy weetabix as his eyes are just opened so he can eat those ok.
I know the chances are slim of him making it! He is very little, and he's keeping his eyes shut most of the time still. But I couldn't just let him die! He's chirped right up and is eating and drinking, and he falls asleep on my hand when I'm feeding/massaging his tummy. Here are some photos of his cute tiny-ness! :love:

(Sorry about the box ;) It was all I had to hand :lol:)

Last edited:
Awww so cute :love::love::love::love:

We have a mouse in our kitchen. It comes out at night and raids the rubbish bag :lol::lol::lol:

Awww he looks very happy! Love the picture where he is sat on the money! :love:

I love that one cus it shows how teeny he his! He was trying to chew it too :roll: Silly mouse!

I've decided to name him Apollo.
Naming creatures that might not make it, and you will have to release even if they do, is a bit silly... but I felt like he needed a name! :oops:

He's named after this character from a book:
http://www.harcourtbooks.com/TheEndOfMrY/apollo_smithneus.asp

Awww what a little cutie :love: and what a lovely caring person you are too. Your doing a wonderful thing for the little guy, I hope he makes it :D

Thanks a lot guys :)
He is still alive and reasonably well, although his tail is a bit segmented which means he is dehydrated from what I've read. He is being stubborn and won't drink, he just attaches himself round my finger, buries his head into the gap between fingers and palm, and falls asleep :roll:
Sachmis brought in another one this morning but it was dead. She obviously found a nest. :(
The cats are very unimpressed about being locked out of my room. I've always wanted pet mice but this has made me realise it wouldn't be fair on the cats or the mice :?

Here is a video of him just now eating some Rivita soaked in water. There's been some in a dish all day and he won't eat it unless I'm holding him and putting it up to him.
He falls asleep as soon as he's done, so cute!

Lanky long legs!

And he's already grown!

:love:

Poor little Apollo didn't make it :( I found him dead in his smaller box, looking like he was sleeping a few minutes ago :cry: Last time I saw him was 10:30pm, so he must have passed a bit after that.
I knew there wasn't much of a chance of him making it, and I could tell he was getting dehydrated and slower, but I'm still so sad to lose him after trying so hard.
At least he had another 40 hours of life and died safe and calm rather than stressed in the wild or hurt by my cats.

RIP little mouse! :(

Poor Apollo, I didn't want to say anything but in the video he looked a bit poorly. You did absolutely everything you could for him and as you say at least he died safe and warm with a full tummy which is more than he'd have got if he'd been left.:cry:

Poor Apollo, I didn't want to say anything but in the video he looked a bit poorly. You did absolutely everything you could for him and as you say at least he died safe and warm with a full tummy which is more than he'd have got if he'd been left.:cry:

I know he looked poorly in the video :( I'd gotten him wet which made him look worse, but honestly I could tell there wasn't much hope. He wasn't taking formula, and he was only eating a small amount of the rivita and grapes.

You did the best you could do, least he had lot of love in his last day! He was lucky you found him or he would have been alone :(

I had the same experience with a baby mouse, he lasted one night but died during the next night. I was very sad, but I knew there was no chance of him making it without his Mam, I like to think that I at least gave him some warmth and safety for the short time he was with me.

Scurry free little mouse. x

Thanks guys :(
It seems so silly because he was a wild mouse, not a pet, but when you spend so much time with them even over a couple of days you get attached :(

Back