• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has anyone taught their buns to feed/take mess from a syringe?

DarceyH

Warren Scout
Smokey absolutely hate it, and she keeps giving my bunny evils (if that's even possible!) she has still got a few more doses of painkillers after her spay, but (thank goodness) she has finished her supplements and is eating properly now. Had a stressful 36 hours of trying to syringe her critical care! I looked at all the YouTube videos on syringe feeding (they made it look so easy!) and my outcomes were no where near as successful...
It caused us both so much unnecessary stress, and I was wondering if any one had taught their buns to accept it, and HOW?!

I guess not

Shame, I guess I will just fill it with a mix of her favourite treats and see what happens!

I think if it's something that doesn't taste nasty, and as long as they're not really poorly, then a lot of buns will take stuff willingly. But if they are not eating because they are in pain, they won't want to swallow meds etc either as it might be painful to do so. For example, my Digby has metacam every day to reduce inflammation in his nasal passages, and he knows what time it's due and comes running to me for it - he then puts his paws on my knee and licks it from the syringe because it's yummy! Also, all of my buns will eat fibreplex from a plate as it is carrot flavour. Panacur is quite an easy one too. With baytril, however, I think anyone would struggle! :wave:

If only it were so easy

I think if it's something that doesn't taste nasty, and as long as they're not really poorly, then a lot of buns will take stuff willingly. But if they are not eating because they are in pain, they won't want to swallow meds etc either as it might be painful to do so. For example, my Digby has metacam every day to reduce inflammation in his nasal passages, and he knows what time it's due and comes running to me for it - he then puts his paws on my knee and licks it from the syringe because it's yummy! Also, all of my buns will eat fibreplex from a plate as it is carrot flavour. Panacur is quite an easy one too. With baytril, however, I think anyone would struggle! :wave:

She hates it! Even when she was eating properly, and had the spikily that is supposed to taste nice, she would run and hide, when input some on some parsley (one if her favourite things) she ate everything but the parsley!
The vet and I think she just likes to be difficult! Oh well, at least her painkillers weren't too bad yesterday! I ordered some fenugreek crunchies (I was told about them on here in my last smokey spay thread) so hopefully she will love those like all bunnies seem to, and I can bribe her with them!

Back