• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Transferring Hay to Cotton cases

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
Just wondering who else puts their hay in to cotton cases so don't sweat in the plastic bags they come in?

I had the bright idea to empty my 15kg bale of readigrass , 9.5kg of INGS and 9.5kg meadow into a quilt case each... Big mistake :roll:

the readigrass expanded so much and there's tonnes of it! Not only that it gave me an irritable itchy rash for some reason. The hay wasn't so bad but also expanded much more than I expected.

There's not much room in my little storage hut anymore, only had it a few Weeks and it's looking like a bombs hit it! I don't think I'll be emptying them in to such large cases again!

Are there any other alternatives to let the hay breathe!? :wave:

I don't buy much in bags but when I do I put it in a drawer in one 'block', then break it up as I give it to them. They have their forage drawers and one bag of Alfalfa King fits in nicely in a block

Does readigrass have to breath?! :shock: I have a 15kg bale too and it's still in the plastic bag, I thought it would be okay?

Does readigrass have to breath?! :shock: I have a 15kg bale too and it's still in the plastic bag, I thought it would be okay?

Well if i'm honest with you Janak, I haven't a clue but I wouldn't advise doing what I did unless you have a spare shed big enough for an elephant sized lump.... It's a nightmare :lol:

Probably best just to cut the top and leave that open so it gets at least a little air? :thumb:

My readigrass has been in its bag for ages, still fine! The top is left open though :)

I tried putting the hay in a quilt cover Jack, it didn't go well either :lol:

My readigrass has been in its bag for ages, still fine! The top is left open though :)

I tried putting the hay in a quilt cover Jack, it didn't go well either :lol:

My 2 bales are now in a funky bugs life quilt cover :roll:I won't be attempting this again that's for sure! Where do you store all your hay Aly? I recently got a huge plastic storage thingy from homebase. Only problem is that it can really heat up what with being plastic and in a south facing sun trap of a garden.

I keep my hay in the plastic bag in the garage (transfer enough for a week into a small cotton bag to keep inside). I also tie it up with string. So I'm doing it all wrong :lol: But never had any problems!

my last bag of redigrass went off :mrgreen: this new one is a bit iffy but I emptied it out in to a cotton bag and looked through it and it's ok :thumb:

I keep mine in the buns shed, in the plastic bag still but its more or less completely open on the shelf :) I have some of those hessian sacks coming so I'm going to try and take the hay apart in blocks to put in them :)

I still use a single quilt. My OH collects the bale in it as he really doesn't like hay in his boot!

I have managed to keep it upright and take the sections from the top down and put them in a big box to distribute round the buns. It has taken some practice but seem to work now :D

Hay is meant to be dry :lol: it's better to leave the top open or you will get condensation inside, which could make the hay go mouldy :wave:

Haha yeah I meant I didn't want it to get parched (like it is when it has been outside in their run for a while).

I transfer mine into pillow cases (then I also freeze my hay, but then I am a paranoid freak re mites etc!). Pillow cases could work better as you can pack the hay in as you transfer it from the bale and you won't have as much room for expansion :)

I did use a duvet cover but it was a disasterous mess. :lol:

Now I use a big plastic storage box with holes drilled around the top. It's much better. :thumb:

I freeze it for my gerbils but I'm not sure I'd fit enough for 10 buns and 2 piggies in the freezer aswell :lol:

Nah, doubt ye would fit all that in. I have a separate freezer that I just use for freezing hay & ice pods! (It was left over when we moved in, so we kept it)

Back