• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How are the Rescues and Sanctuaries coping in this heat with so many rabbits .

Tuckerbunnies

Wise Old Thumper
We have 29 rabbits and we are struggling to keep some cool we have fans on, ice pods, cooling units in the boarding shed and for some of our buns but it's
just horrendous here today and I find myself just walking round sobbing as I struggle to keep them cool :cry::cry:

We have 29 rabbits and we are struggling to keep some cool we have fans on, ice pods, cooling units in the boarding shed and for some of our buns but it's
just horrendous here today and I find myself just walking round sobbing as I struggle to keep them cool :cry::cry:

I must admit I have been close to tears many times in the past week or two but fear I may dehydrate for ever if I do actually shed a tear!

I feel for you because all I want to do is lie down and rest but I am constantly on the go trying to do something else for the buns and checking all are ok. It is totally exhausting :(

I hope it eases for you and the bunnies very soon and in the meantime all stay safe and well xx

I must admit I have been close to tears many times in the past week or two but fear I may dehydrate for ever if I do actually shed a tear!

I feel for you because all I want to do is lie down and rest but I am constantly on the go trying to do something else for the buns and checking all are ok. It is totally exhausting :(

I hope it eases for you and the bunnies very soon and in the meantime all stay safe and well xx

We are going to bed in the early hours of the morning to keep the house cooler, last night it was 4:00 am as it's just as hot at night . We have sick bunnies that are not coping with the heat and Mike and myself are exhausted as on top of caring and trying to keep all the buns cool we have the boarding bunnies on top....it's just horrendous and so my heart goes out to all who have the same problems :cry:

We are going to bed in the early hours of the morning to keep the house cooler, last night it was 4:00 am as it's just as hot at night . We have sick bunnies that are not coping with the heat and Mike and myself are exhausted as on top of caring and trying to keep all the buns cool we have the boarding bunnies on top....it's just horrendous and so my heart goes out to all who have the same problems :cry:

Oh goodness :( I am staying up until midnight which is late for me as with my ME I usually have to be in bed by ten.

We also got up early to start the big clean out today, plus Steve stayed at home for the morning to help me as there was no way I could have been out their all day cleaning alone.

The only decent thing about it is that I have never had so much clean dry vet bed and towels!

It's not so warm up here, but the rabbits are in indoor hutches rather than the runs because its cooler with air conditioning units running inside than outside in the shade even.
Sadly we are at the point of having April, an elderly sheep PTS because she is rolling onto her side when she lies down. Our usual sheep shearer has gout, the next guy we contacted never turned up, so we have one hopefully arriving on Monday or Tuesday.
We are hoping the thickness of her fleece and tiredness with the heat, alongside her arthritis is causing her to get stuck.
The vet has said to see how she goes after being sheared but if she doesn't improve we need to consider PTS. At the moment we are checking her every 3 hours to make sure she isn't stuck for long.
The dogs are also a big issue, they are completely hyper, but even at 10 it's really warm and after that we can't have them barking and upsetting the neighbours.
All our older animals are struggling, but they are coping ( other than the sheep) so far!

Back