• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange behavior- help!

Owner of a neutered, male Dutch rabbit. Recently, we had him at the "babysitter vet" for a week & he was fine upon return. We currently have a low to the floor bed & we let him hop on it & explore, but for the 1st time, he peed on it! He also bit me on the butt & man, it hurt!

I'm trying to dismiss the bite as me simply being in his way or maybe he just thinks soft things are worth biting. He normally does not bite at all, but this is the 2nd time now while I'm sitting on the bed & in the same place. I was in the midst of cleaning his cage when he went to the bathroom on the bed (twice!). It is possible he had to go & the bed reminded him of his soft litter box? He's usually good at waiting til he gets to his box.

If it makes any difference to know, he's currently molting. Thanks for any guidance! :)

Beds can be a trouble spot, I guess because they smell strongly of human (not in a stinky way just that we spend a lot of time in them) and rabbits want their scent there as it's part of their territory. You could try keeping him off the bed (tricky) or sometimes just having a spare try there when your not sleeping in it can let them add scent without making a mess.

Rabbit's do nip as part of communication, if he didn't break the skin that's probably what he was doing. I think they forget we don't have a layer of fluff for protection. It usually means you are in the way or not doing what they want (getting out the way/giving head rubs/food). Try squeaking if he does it again so he knows it hurts and don't do whatever you think he wanted so he doesn't think that he should do it again :)

Back