• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Falon not eating

Mattie_G

Mama Doe
I went to put buns to bed. F already in there - v unusual never does that. Put down tea - ignored. Never ignores!

Checked bum ok plus saw her poo. Eyes ok slight bit of discharge which she occassionally gets ... she walked over to other crate. She does walk sometimes like a dog though ...

Rang emerg vet. She thinks prob can wait til morning but I am concerned. Said would offer carrot in 1/2 hr then let vet know.

Vibes pls + advice.

Hopefully your vet is better than the emergency vets. Our emergency vets are not rabbit savvy. As far as I know they have closed down now.

She was v nice but semed suprised I have insurance and am willing to pay £120 plus meds for my bun.

Not ideal but if she is sick I will find a way. Thankfully I pay my vets £15 each month so excess is covered ...

I am hoping she just got a bit hot and she will eat a carrot.

One of my buns isn't eating much. If I remember rightly your buns are inside. Its hotter inside at this time, compared to being outside. Mr B is inside too.

If you are still worried I would call them back.

They hop in and out during day but in shed at night with window open. They had three bowls of water plus lots if shade. She has a long coat which she is moulting but still furry much furrier than D.

Thanks for your help BYB ;-) i dont know what I would have done without u to chat to. Not many people understand ....

D'argo, yes such a naughty bun. Raids your kitchen cupboards and ate your husbands Christmas present.

Hope Falon is fine in the morning. At least its getting cooler now.

My two are a bit fussy in this weather, Jims has just come out of a nasty bout of stasis but he didnt eat all his breakfast and dinner today and Cookie didnt eat all her veg so i understand how worrying it can be!
I have started making them herb ice lollies which they seem to like, may be wortha try?

thanks guys. It is so worrying.She did have a sniff at the pellets but both buns sre lying flat out under hutch at mo. They did take their veggies and I took a bowl of water down for them. Tempted to take Fal for check up later though in case. What do you think? I would have to put her carrier in my bike carrier bit where the kids go but it isnt far althoygh she hates vets!

Rachylou - I am intrigued but nervous. How do I do it?

Hope Falon is perking up now xxx All of mine are doing different things to how they would normally behave due to the heat, Cookie is refusing to drink until night time, so I am having to hassle her with a bottle at her mouth, little and often and drench her veggies. They are sensitive tummy buns so too many veggies could also spell disaster. My nerves are through the roof!!

Oh dear ... that must be worrying. Yours look fluffy too like Falon. She is a big fluf ball of a french lop and about 6kg so big girl.

Do yiu think I shouldnt worry about the vets today but just keep an eye?

Yes very fluffy buns and still have half their winter fur at the moment! Much smaller though at 2.6kg! Luckily she is tolerating me brushing out a lot of fur as I'm scared she'll swallow a lot and with not drinking brilliantly that will cause an issue too. :?

Is Falon pooping? if not I would be inclined to still take her in. The vet may be able to feel if anything is going on with her tum. It is more than likely weather related than anything though hopefully. All mine have refused pellets so far today, but the water soaked kale they wolfed down.

Thank you for replying; for some reason I didnt see you had.

They came out from under the hutch about 7 ish and F gave me a run round the garden so think she is feeling perkier.

She is pooping thankfully. I thought maybe would chop up some veg and freeze it in water and put it out for them.

Back