• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it to late to get our rabbit a friend?

canonman

New Kit
Hi there all.

We have a lionhead rabbit called Quiff! (because of his long hair) we have had him 1 year he is healthy and happy. He is a indoor rabbit and lives in our flat.

We are now moving to a house, he still will live indoors with us, we wanted to know if its still a good idea to get him a friend, like a guinea pig or other rabbit, will he bond - he is not angry he has never bitten us, we want to make him as happy as possible. I have heard it can be a bad idea to get a rabbit at this late stage?

He has not been nutured ?? by a vet and we dont want to go annoying him now.

Any help would be fantastic.

thanks all

First of all, welcome to the forum!

i would say not to get a Guinea pig! I'm sure others will explain better but they have different dietary requirements, different communication skills and different housing requirements.

I would recommend getting him neutered. An intact male bun will not be able to bond successfully with another rabbit. Once he is done though, you can contact a local rescue who can help you select a neutered female rabbit for him to bond with. Many rescues will even do the bonding for you!

Whereabouts do you live? Someone here might be able to point you in the direction of a local rescue.

Hello and welcome. Definitely not a guinea pig the two aren't compatible.

He is certainly not to old to meet a friend and Im sure he would thank you for it. You would need to get him neutered and give him 6-8 weeks before you introduce a female.

A lot of rescues will help with the bonding for you. If you tell us where you are we can point you in the right direction

Rabbits can live for a long time- there was one person on here who owned a lovely rabbit who recently passed at the age of 16! So he is definitely not too old to get neutered and be bonded to a nice rabbit friend- he's only very young still! :D Most rabbits really thrive off the companionship from their own species and having a constant companion who understands their language. They are sociable creatures who really need someone (human or preferably bunny!) around constantly to keep them happy and it is a wonderful feeling to see two bunnies in love grooming each other :D. As others have said guinea pigs and rabbits together are no longer advised as they can pass diseases, have different diets, and can injure each other as well as communicating differently.

Getting him a rabbit friend without neutering wouldn't work as it'd result in fighting, spraying and babies too if you got a female. So you would have to get him neutered 6 weeks before finding him a neutered friend. A rescue would help you find the perfect match and lots will even bond them for you! There are loads of people on this site who offer advice on getting a rescue bun, set-ups and bonding.

Good luck with the move and with what you decide to do next! :)

Nothing to add to the good advice already given. Just wanted to say that Quiff is such a great name!!!

Rabbits can live for a long time- there was one person on here who owned a lovely rabbit who recently passed at the age of 16! So he is definitely not too old to get neutered and be bonded to a nice rabbit friend- he's only very young still! :D

This! My poor boy, whom Jaffacake is talking about, was bonded to his 2 years old son at the age of 15! So it's never too late for a bun to have a friend even when they are in their Autumn, or in Mr Yug's case Winter, years! :lol:

My very first bun lived alone until he was 8 and then I bonded him with an 18 month old female. The last few years of his life spent with her were his happiest, he absolutely adored her.

So, definitely not too late to get him a friend :) Just make sure you get him neutered first and then look for a neutered female.

Back