• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

White Circle in right eye

Charlotte333

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone:wave::wave:

I've just noticed the my rabbit Sooty who is 7 year old neutered male mini lop has got a White circle right in the middle of his right eye.

Does anyone know what this could be? Sooty is eating and behaving normally. I'll take him to the vets tomorrow.

Definitely start it on some panacur in case it is EC. EC is terribly distressing to watch and looking back, this is how Luna's problems started .. And she was initially diagnosed with cataract at 2 years of age.

Definitely start it on some panacur in case it is EC. EC is terribly distressing to watch and looking back, this is how Luna's problems started .. And she was initially diagnosed with cataract at 2 years of age.

Sooty has got a complete cataract in left eye and one is developing in his left. The vet said that there is nothing that they can do for him but he appears to be coping ok. I've put him on panacur due to EC which the vet didn't mention. This will be Sooty's third session of panacur for 28 days due to two of my other rabbits having head tilt in November and April.

One of mine has developed a cataract recently - I spoke to Richard S about it at the bunny conference and he said that ec in the lens seems to be a totally different disease to 'ec' in general and that there's no evidence that panacur will help as it is unlikely to be able to travel across the eye fluids and penetrate the lens, which is where the ec is and has been since birth if that is the cause.

Does it look like a white blob within the lens, or is it that the whole lens itself has gone cloudy? With mine, he lacks pigment in his eyes (he is not a red eyed white but he is one of those bunnies with very red eyes) and it is therefore thought that the lens opacity/cataract is due to sun damage and there's not really a lot can be done about it except monitor and if there are any changes, to return to vet promptly as lens can rupture especially if due to ec.

Hope your little one is ok x x

One of mine has developed a cataract recently - I spoke to Richard S about it at the bunny conference and he said that ec in the lens seems to be a totally different disease to 'ec' in general and that there's no evidence that panacur will help as it is unlikely to be able to travel across the eye fluids and penetrate the lens, which is where the ec is and has been since birth if that is the cause.

Does it look like a white blob within the lens, or is it that the whole lens itself has gone cloudy? With mine, he lacks pigment in his eyes (he is not a red eyed white but he is one of those bunnies with very red eyes) and it is therefore thought that the lens opacity/cataract is due to sun damage and there's not really a lot can be done about it except monitor and if there are any changes, to return to vet promptly as lens can rupture especially if due to ec.

Hope your little one is ok x x

The whole lens in Sooty's left eye is white and cloudy in the right eye. Thanks for the info on EC and eyes. I'll carry on with panacur as my other set of three rabbits are on as they went away for bonding and came back yesterday.

Sooty seems to be coping very well xx

Glad to hear Sooty is doing well. Good idea to carry on with the Panacur .. Better safe than sorry.

Luna's eye was really cloudy with a bright white bit. Se showed no signs of head tilt for a good year then went straight into the rolling, severe head tilt and convulsions .. Horrible to see. Looking back,I do think that the eye problem was the start of all this.

Back