• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Smokey spay update: worried!!

DarceyH

Warren Scout
Ok, so the vet said that the procedure went well, and that she came round ok, but that she wouldn't eat. She went in at 11:30 am today and came home about 5:30pm, it's now 8:30pm. The vet called when she woke up, to let me know she was on, this was at about 3pm.
The vet did surringe feed her with aftercare formula, and I have a sachet here (and painkillers)
She hasn't eaten, and I haven't seen her drink, but she has peed quite a lot, but no poop.
I tried to surringe feed her with pellets (her favourite thing) soaked then mashed with water, as the formula says to use with in 12 hours, and i would rather start that tomorrow morning to use through the day than once now only to have it unusable by 8:30 tomorrow morning.
Obviously I want the best for Smokey, so if your advice is to start the aftercare mix now, and feed her through the night, I will, I just wanted to know if I was over reacting, or if I should be worried. (I have got all of her favourite treats (not the high sugar ones though) in her food bowl with her, but still no luck, not even a nibble of hay.
Also, I have given her water in a bowl as well as a bottle so she has the choice as I read that post op buns prefure the bowl.

I wouldn't really want to eat straight away after having a big op! :)

Poppy and Lola didn't eat or drink until very early in the morning, woke up to poos all over the place, empty bowls and half empty water bowls.

Does she have metacam?

Yes

I wouldn't really want to eat straight away after having a big op! :)

Poppy and Lola didn't eat or drink until very early in the morning, woke up to poos all over the place, empty bowls and half empty water bowls.

Does she have metacam?

Yes she has metacam, but she won't need it till tomorrow at about 2, but I'm worried she will have no food in her to take it with!

See how she is in the morning. Pippa nibbled a bit of parsley at the vets as she wouldn't have come home if she hadn't eaten anything, but she was given a gut stimulant injection, because he did say that often females don't start eating again as quickly as males. If she has peed a lot than she must have been drinking. I really don't think I would be force feeding her as such, as that may just upset her on top of her op. Your vet should have given a gut stimulant jab as well, so try not to worry, and I would just make sure she is warm and comfortable and leave her to recover. Hope she feels better in the morning.

Hi, hope Smokey is feeling better this morning. When my girls were spayed a couple of months ago they went off food at first, but the first thing they would eat was lots of handpicked forage such as dandelion leaves, grass (cut not mowed) brambles and hawthorn. They then also ate readigrass as well, and their pellets, and then they went back to being hay eating machines as normal :D I had to ask for them to have the gut stimulant, so if shes no better i would maybe ask if she has had one already, and if not then get them to give her one.

My girls really went off their food (and drink) but what they did eat at first was herbs and weeping willow. I had to take them back for more pain relief and gut stimulant the next evening. I wouldn't say they were really back to themselves until day 5. I utterly failed with recovery food and syringing water, it stressed them out totally.
Hope she's feeling better soon.

Morning

She still hasn't eaten, but she happily was surringed a bit of after care, and quite a bit of water. She also ate one stalk of hay that I offered her, but that's it. Still no poop. She seems a little perkier today though, and her wound is looking really good, so I just hope she starts eating soon...

Metacam won't last 24 hours, whatever they tell you. ~12 hours.

Is it dog or cat metacam? What dose have you been told to give and how much does Smokey weigh?

Metacam won't last 24 hours, whatever they tell you. ~12 hours.

Is it dog or cat metacam? What dose have you been told to give and how much does Smokey weigh?

ditto

Metacam only lasts 12 hours - the vet may be relying on the GA to give pain cover for 24 hours after the op - but I would def use metacam. Check dosage as well as many vets underdose (using OLD system).

PS if first time you have used metacam then DO NOT USE the syringe that comes IN the box which is marked misleadingly in kilos of dog weight and not in mls!!!!

Benji didn't eat much after his neuter. Its a big op and must cause some stress. Im sure she will be fine. x

Metacam

The metacam is for dogs, and in to give her 0.6 ml a day (I guess ill make that twice a day) they have me a smaller surringe and told me to ignore the big one too. Should I start giving it to her now wile she had a bit of food in her system?

Home again

The vet gave her some fluid and a jab to help kick start her gut, and I have to surringe feed her every 30 mins, which she isn't thrilled about, give her pain killers 2 times a day and something called protexin pro fibre 3 times a day. Just when we had gotten closer, she is going to start hating me again :(

The vet gave her some fluid and a jab to help kick start her gut, and I have to surringe feed her every 30 mins, which she isn't thrilled about, give her pain killers 2 times a day and something called protexin pro fibre 3 times a day. Just when we had gotten closer, she is going to start hating me again :(

Vibes for her and hugs to you.
She wont hate you. We had to put a tubigrip on Lola after her one and we fought with her. I thought she would hate me but she is fine now.
Just keep up the painkillers and she will start to eat, poop etc. I noticed when the painkillers were wearing off Lola would hardly move but 20mins after meds she would perk up. Just keep an eye on her and if yu are not happy take her to the vets again. Better to be safe.

Back