• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do Rex rabbits have a shorter life expectancy than other breeds?

jazxo

Mama Doe
I think I've heard that somewhere or I could be wrong?
Just wondering as I've fallen in love with a blue Rex who's 4 and Pippin is only 1 :( would it be sensible of me to choose him or not?

I haven't heard that about Rexes, only continental giants due to their huge size.

Only thing I have heard is that Rexes are prone to sore hocks and very greedy bunnies. I have a Rex, he is very greedy. ;)

I haven't heard that about Rexes, only continental giants due to their huge size.

Only thing I have heard is that Rexes are prone to sore hocks and very greedy bunnies. I have a Rex, he is very greedy. ;)

Yeah I knew about the sore hocks but don't mind the greediness :D thanks

I have had rabbits with 2-3 years age difference in them and they have got on fine.
He sounds gorgeous (I have a soft spot for blue bunnies :love: )

The only thing I have heard about rexes or mini rexes is that they can have heart problems. My Fiver is a mini and his heart is in fine shape according to the vet we just saw Sunday. He is about 5-6 years old now.
He's also a bit podgy, but he eats no treats, just doesn't move much. :roll: He loves to flop and wash his plush apple all day. A bit of a lazy bones. ;)

jgqnoi.jpg

This is him :love:
I just don't want him to die before her :(

Last edited:
The only thing I have heard about rexes or mini rexes is that they can have heart problems. My Fiver is a mini and his heart is in fine shape according to the vet we just saw Sunday. He is about 5-6 years old now.
He's also a bit podgy, but he eats no treats, just doesn't move much. :roll: He loves to flop and wash his plush apple all day. A bit of a lazy bones. ;)

Oh really :/ glad to hear yours is doing well :)

He is gorgeous. :love::love::love: My Rex boy has just turned 2, his partner is 7 or 8. They are a very close couple and she is nearly half his size.

Doesn't matter what breed you get, you can never predict when its their time unfortunately.

Do it!

I recognise the bunny, hes from the same rescue I got my boys from and I have them on facebook. Kerry is fab and so helpful, go for it!

The only breeds with generally noticeably shorter life spans are giants (especially conti's), never heard that about rex :)

I was going to say, you don't know if he will die before her or not, you could get a younger bunny and they could die young. So getting an older bun won't mean less time.

Glad you reserved him, he's lovely :love:

Ooo congratulations. I love rexes (and belgian hares). Hope he and lovely Pippin get on really well.

Back