PDA

View Full Version : Do Rex rabbits have a shorter life expectancy than other breeds?

jazxo
16-07-2013, 08:22 PM
I think I've heard that somewhere or I could be wrong?
Just wondering as I've fallen in love with a blue Rex who's 4 and Pippin is only 1 :( would it be sensible of me to choose him or not?

Barn Yard Bunnies
16-07-2013, 08:50 PM
I haven't heard that about Rexes, only continental giants due to their huge size.

Only thing I have heard is that Rexes are prone to sore hocks and very greedy bunnies. I have a Rex, he is very greedy. ;)

Jack's-Jane
16-07-2013, 08:52 PM
I have a 12.5 year old Rex :)

jazxo
16-07-2013, 08:54 PM
I haven't heard that about Rexes, only continental giants due to their huge size.

Only thing I have heard is that Rexes are prone to sore hocks and very greedy bunnies. I have a Rex, he is very greedy. ;)

Yeah I knew about the sore hocks but don't mind the greediness :D thanks

jazxo
16-07-2013, 08:55 PM
I have a 12.5 year old Rex :)

Oh wow! Really don't know whether to get this Rex or a younger bun :(

bunny babe
16-07-2013, 09:02 PM
I have had rabbits with 2-3 years age difference in them and they have got on fine.
He sounds gorgeous (I have a soft spot for blue bunnies :love: )

Rexripley
16-07-2013, 09:03 PM
I love my rex :)

MimzMum
16-07-2013, 09:07 PM
The only thing I have heard about rexes or mini rexes is that they can have heart problems. My Fiver is a mini and his heart is in fine shape according to the vet we just saw Sunday. He is about 5-6 years old now.
He's also a bit podgy, but he eats no treats, just doesn't move much. :roll: He loves to flop and wash his plush apple all day. A bit of a lazy bones. ;)

jazxo
16-07-2013, 09:07 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/jgqnoi.jpg
This is him :love:
I just don't want him to die before her :(

jazxo
16-07-2013, 09:12 PM
The only thing I have heard about rexes or mini rexes is that they can have heart problems. My Fiver is a mini and his heart is in fine shape according to the vet we just saw Sunday. He is about 5-6 years old now.
He's also a bit podgy, but he eats no treats, just doesn't move much. :roll: He loves to flop and wash his plush apple all day. A bit of a lazy bones. ;)

Oh really :/ glad to hear yours is doing well :)

bunny babe
16-07-2013, 09:13 PM
:love::love::love::love::love:

Barn Yard Bunnies
16-07-2013, 09:20 PM
He is gorgeous. :love::love::love: My Rex boy has just turned 2, his partner is 7 or 8. They are a very close couple and she is nearly half his size.

Doesn't matter what breed you get, you can never predict when its their time unfortunately.

tasteofchaos
16-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Do it!

I recognise the bunny, hes from the same rescue I got my boys from and I have them on facebook. Kerry is fab and so helpful, go for it!

DemiS
16-07-2013, 09:36 PM
The only breeds with generally noticeably shorter life spans are giants (especially conti's), never heard that about rex :)

jazxo
16-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Right, just emailed and asked to reserve him :love: :love: :love:

Barn Yard Bunnies
16-07-2013, 09:43 PM

:love::love::love:

jazxo
16-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Do it!

I recognise the bunny, hes from the same rescue I got my boys from and I have them on facebook. Kerry is fab and so helpful, go for it!

Yeah he's from cuddly critters :) Kerry seems great

Mirth
16-07-2013, 11:26 PM
I was going to say, you don't know if he will die before her or not, you could get a younger bunny and they could die young. So getting an older bun won't mean less time.

Glad you reserved him, he's lovely :love:

bunny babe
16-07-2013, 11:29 PM
:love: Knew you would, I could tell you had fallen for him.;) He is gorgeous.

tulsi
17-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Ooo congratulations. I love rexes (and belgian hares). Hope he and lovely Pippin get on really well.

dizzyg
17-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Oh he's just :love::love::love:

Congratulations!

xx

jazxo
17-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Ooo congratulations. I love rexes (and belgian hares). Hope he and lovely Pippin get on really well.

Aw thank you me too :)

EBM
17-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Do update us with their progress! What a lovely bun:love:

jazxo
17-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Do update us with their progress! What a lovely bun:love:

Won't be bonding until September but will do!

Captain Helen
17-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Awwww, he's gorgeous! :love: Hope the bonding goes well xx

Angie B
17-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Aww he is gorgeous!

I have 2 Mini Rex Satins :love: they are 2.5 now. They don't appear greedy to me, but they are slobs when in their run; just love to flop and snooze. When they're free-ranging they will flop too, but not very often unless it's hot, like now, and they find a nice cool spot to flop in.

:shock: please explain! :lol:

RogerRabbit999
17-07-2013, 10:12 PM
I was going to say, you don't know if he will die before her or not, you could get a younger bunny and they could die young. So getting an older bun won't mean less time.

Glad you reserved him, he's lovely :love:

Exactly what I was thinking. Lots of people have sadly lost bunnies that were only a few months or weeks old to an illness or injury. Go with your heart and just enjoy everyday to the max with your buns. Pippin is just fab by the way with a fantastic name :love:

MimzMum
17-07-2013, 11:59 PM
:shock: please explain! :lol:

Fiver has a plush toy apple that I bought him from Petco when we brought him home, he also has a plush toy banana from the same company that he chewed the peel on. He uses them as pillows for his wee head and grooms them regularly. Then he usually goes over in a DBF with a loud thud (for such a tiny body, it's like someone dropped a brick!) and snuggles up to them. It's totally adorable, but I have yet to have the camera ready to get it captured for posterity. :oops:
Ironically, Fiver hates fruit of any kind. Won't even touch it. :shock:

Mimzy used to have a plush carrot that was similar to these two toys, but he ate the side out of it and I feared he'd swallow the stuffing, so he hasn't had it to play with in over a year. :( I could sew it back up but I'm sure he'd just chew it open again. :roll:

Jazxo, I hope I didn't overshadow your decision when it came to the wee Rex bunny you wanted, truly if he and Pippin get along he is the right bunny for you. :thumb: And how gorgeous is he?? Wow! :love::love::love:

jazxo
18-07-2013, 06:33 AM
Fiver has a plush toy apple that I bought him from Petco when we brought him home, he also has a plush toy banana from the same company that he chewed the peel on. He uses them as pillows for his wee head and grooms them regularly. Then he usually goes over in a DBF with a loud thud (for such a tiny body, it's like someone dropped a brick!) and snuggles up to them. It's totally adorable, but I have yet to have the camera ready to get it captured for posterity. :oops:
Ironically, Fiver hates fruit of any kind. Won't even touch it. :shock:

Mimzy used to have a plush carrot that was similar to these two toys, but he ate the side out of it and I feared he'd swallow the stuffing, so he hasn't had it to play with in over a year. :( I could sew it back up but I'm sure he'd just chew it open again. :roll:

Jazxo, I hope I didn't overshadow your decision when it came to the wee Rex bunny you wanted, truly if he and Pippin get along he is the right bunny for you. :thumb: And how gorgeous is he?? Wow! :love::love::love:

No you didn't at all! I had my heart set on him from the start :love: but I guess Pippin will be the one that makes the real decision :lol:

DarceyH
19-07-2013, 08:50 PM
I was actually just looking at this boy! I would have loved him, but unfortunately I havnt gotten my new hutch so I can't adopt a husbun for Smokey yet as I can't just throw him in a hutch together. Also, I have a dog called Blue, so it would get very confusing... (This is blue isn't it?)
Anyway, please let us know how you get on, and he seems like such a gorgeous rabbit!
I will probably get a bunny from cuddly critters when my hutch is ready, I have heared amazing things about it!

Hesperus
19-07-2013, 08:58 PM
He's gorgeous :)

You made the right decision I'm sure. You can't predict the age of any bunny really, my Harry became 'old-aged' at 5. Sadly, he was riddled with genetic problems and other health problems and behaved like an old man at 5... he was a dwarf lop, he died at 6. So you can just never know.

jazxo
19-07-2013, 09:03 PM
I was actually just looking at this boy! I would have loved him, but unfortunately I havnt gotten my new hutch so I can't adopt a husbun for Smokey yet as I can't just throw him in a hutch together. Also, I have a dog called Blue, so it would get very confusing... (This is blue isn't it?)
Anyway, please let us know how you get on, and he seems like such a gorgeous rabbit!
I will probably get a bunny from cuddly critters when my hutch is ready, I have heared amazing things about it!

Yes this is Blue! Awww you'll find another jem! There are lots of lovely boys there. I'll keep you posted :)

jazxo
19-07-2013, 09:04 PM
He's gorgeous :)

You made the right decision I'm sure. You can't predict the age of any bunny really, my Harry became 'old-aged' at 5. Sadly, he was riddled with genetic problems and other health problems and behaved like an old man at 5... he was a dwarf lop, he died at 6. So you can just never know.

I hope I have :)

Aw I'm sorry to hear about your boy :( at least he had a lovely life with you :)

DarceyH
19-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Yes this is Blue! Awww you'll find another jem! There are lots of lovely boys there. I'll keep you posted :)

Thanks :) They did have some Lovely rabbits there in the photographs, but then again, I thing all bunnies are lovely! They had a load of Rex rabbits, probably all from the same breeder, maybe i'll snag one of those, but I'm sure what ever bunny I get will be the one I'm meant to!

jazxo
19-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks :) They did have some Lovely rabbits there in the photographs, but then again, I thing all bunnies are lovely! They had a load of Rex rabbits, probably all from the same breeder, maybe i'll snag one of those, but I'm sure what ever bunny I get will be the one I'm meant to!

Yeah there's a little one called Derek that seems very cute! Yeah absolutely :)