• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much supervision when free-ranging?

When i had George and used to let him run free in the garden i'd just pop out every now and again to check on him, i knew there was no where he could get out the garden and nothing could get in the garden to him (apart from our cats but they never went after him) and i always left his hutch door open so he could get back in there if he wanted

although we did have to block the bottom of the shed off as he discovered he could crawl under it :lol:

Free-ranging in the garden and I am constantly out and checking on them. I worry about the neighbourhood cats and if they have managed to get somewhere they shouldn't.

Free-ranging in the house. No supervision. We have 2 bunnies who are out 24/7 so have to be trusted to do what they want.

Oops I didn't know there had been another thread lol...

I was just wondering, because I let my girls out first thing in the morning, and they don't go in until dark. I go out to check on them now and again, but I don't sit out with them. They're pretty well behaved, so I don't really have to worry about them.

Personally I wouldn't leave a rabbit/rabbits unsupervised in any garden, despite how "well behaved" they are - it's not always the rabbits you have to worry about being well-behaved!

Personally I wouldn't leave a rabbit/rabbits unsupervised in any garden, despite how "well behaved" they are - it's not always the rabbits you have to worry about being well-behaved!

They can't escape, there's no foxes in this area, and cats won't even walk along our fence because they're scared of my dog, plus he's really protective of them, so as long as I check on them every 30-45 mins, it's fine.

They can't escape, there's no foxes in this area, and cats won't even walk along our fence because they're scared of my dog, plus he's really protective of them, so as long as I check on them every 30-45 mins, it's fine.

As others have found in the past on this forum, the first time you realise there is a fox in the area is when it's too late :(

There aren't any foxes here.

It's too rural for urban foxes but too urban for rural foxes, there's no niche for them... I wouldn't put them out, if there was a risk.

No offence or that but you asked the question but when someones offering you the feedback you dont want to hear your arguing?
Why ask in the first place?

Mine freerange on their own. I don't leave the house but I don't sit out with them.

Many disagree with me but its what works best for my bunnies. It means they can have a few hours a day at all times of the year.

Mine freerange on their own. I don't leave the house but I don't sit out with them.

Many disagree with me but its what works best for my bunnies. It means they can have a few hours a day at all times of the year.

That's exactly what I do. I think it's a win for everyone. Don't have to be tied up in the garden, but you know the buns are getting to binky until their hearts are content.

I asked what people do, not for advice, it was out of interest, nothing else.

It's a difficult subject here and people always disagree with me when I mention how I work.

I let Snowdrop out at 7am when I wake up. I am in the house getting ready and hubbie is in bed. Hubbie puts her away when he leaves for work at 8am. We do that every day regardless of weather or time of year as its so important to her health.

When I get home from work about 4pm ish they get until its dark free ranging. As they don't get on Strawberry gets the first shift then Snowdrop comes out second. In winter they sometimes only get half an hour each but they still get out.

On weekends they are out all day. I go out regularly to keep swapping them over during the day so it's fair but I never sit out with them.

I sit out with mine, although I'll pop in to the loo or to grab a drink or something. I seriously doubt there is much risk at all from foxes during the day, but considering it would only take a second for a fox to nip over the fence and grab a bunny, I just won't risk it. Plus, one is Houdini and I like to make sure whichever pair is out doesn't antagonise the others as if they do one male shows refers aggression to his wife.

It's also very relaxing to sit out and watch them, I like it.

I sit out with mine, although I'll pop in to the loo or to grab a drink or something. I seriously doubt there is much risk at all from foxes during the day, but considering it would only take a second for a fox to nip over the fence and grab a bunny, I just won't risk it. Plus, one is Houdini and I like to make sure whichever pair is out doesn't antagonise the others as if they do one male shows refers aggression to his wife.

It's also very relaxing to sit out and watch them, I like it.

Foxes are becoming more and more active in the day time, unfortunately :( The chances are reduced compared to at night though. Like you, I just don't want to take the risk.

Mine get let out at 5:30-6am when my dad wakes up. They are out until about 10:30pm in Summer and earlier in the Winter as it gets dark sooner. They also sometimes get to come inside for a run around in the kitchen afterwards until I go to bed about 12am so they usually only spend 6 hours in the hutch.

Usually there is someone home, and we go out to spend time with them and give cuddles during the day and check for digging, but we don't supervise. They get periods of solid attention- before my dad goes to work, when I wake up, if I'm home I usually sit with them for lunch, my sister goes out to play with them after school, my dad lies out with them after work, and then I get to give them some attention at bedtime. But if we go out for the day we leave them out.

Reasons for letting them free-range like this are explained in the other thread :)

ETA we also have a cat flap which they sometimes manage to use to come inside and visit, and we pin the back door open so they can come in the kitchen that way too if we are home. There is a litter tray in the corner and a child gate between the kitchen and lounge as only the kitchen is bunny proofed. :) There is also no heating in there so it is less of a problem with temperature change, although we will look at that more closely in the Winter.

Last edited:
There were no foxes near me so I thought...until one attacked, killing one duck and imjuring the other. It was horrific. Bunsk is NEVER left on his own now.

There were no foxes near me so I thought...until one attacked, killing one duck and imjuring the other. It was horrific. Bunsk is NEVER left on his own now.

I totally understand. But I fully believe that Snowdrop would not be alive today without her time free ranging every day. That would not be possible if I could only let her out when I can sit in the garden.

Back