• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clipping nails. Need help.

Kayaksteph

Mama Doe
As title says any advise on clipping nails. Lola used to be fine but now she is petrified.
We have tried so much and she is getting stressed and so are we.
I am thinking about just calling the vets to get them to do it but I bet they will charge a fortune!

Has anyone got anymore tips on this?

One stressed mum and Lola. :cry:

I paid £10 for a nurse at the local vet surgery to do it for me :oops: It was worth it for minimal stress to both of us!

I paid £10 for a nurse at the local vet surgery to do it for me :oops: It was worth it for minimal stress to both of us!

Thanks for the reply. I have just called the vet and made an app for today. Getting her a 6 month check up too. She has a lump on her ear and had scratched her eye area so just want to make sure. Feel like a bad mum today! :(

Thanks for the reply. I have just called the vet and made an app for today. Getting her a 6 month check up too. She has a lump on her ear and had scratched her eye area so just want to make sure. Feel like a bad mum today! :(

Awwww don't feel bad. It isn't the easiest thing to do when they get agitated. I have managed a couple of my buns - the most placid - but still worried in case I slipped and hurt them!

Better to be safe than sorry :D

I cannot do mine at all - they won't stay still and when I try the towel route they freak out completely. They dont need doing yet but when they do I think I'll have to take them in. I had to laugh though, cheking out bunny burrito videos on youtube with all these bunnies that just sat there when you put them on the towel and wrapped them up. Sorry it doesn't happen that way here!

Awwww don't feel bad. It isn't the easiest thing to do when they get agitated. I have managed a couple of my buns - the most placid - but still worried in case I slipped and hurt them!

Better to be safe than sorry :D

Thanks. Nails we ok. Little trim did some of them. I think what we have done is scared her by cutting too close to the red bit and its hurt her so she is scared. She was so unhappy with me she had her back to me, would not even take a bit of veg or a treat. Bad bad bad mum!! She then was ok later but her dad was nice to her so she stayed with him.

I cannot do mine at all - they won't stay still and when I try the towel route they freak out completely. They dont need doing yet but when they do I think I'll have to take them in. I had to laugh though, cheking out bunny burrito videos on youtube with all these bunnies that just sat there when you put them on the towel and wrapped them up. Sorry it doesn't happen that way here!

I Did try to look at youtube too but had to laugh at some of the folk. The American lass was funny! It only cost me £7.50 for check up and couple of nail trims. I thought that was good.

Thanks. Nails we ok. Little trim did some of them. I think what we have done is scared her by cutting too close to the red bit and its hurt her so she is scared. She was so unhappy with me she had her back to me, would not even take a bit of veg or a treat. Bad bad bad mum!! She then was ok later but her dad was nice to her so she stayed with him.

I Did try to look at youtube too but had to laugh at some of the folk. The American lass was funny! It only cost me £7.50 for check up and couple of nail trims. I thought that was good.

Glad you got it all sorted :thumb:

Thats weird, i didnt even know you have to pay the vet! Our vet does it for free?:oops::?

You must have a really good vet. :thumb: Lola got a general check too as she has a lump on her ear. We just have to watch to make sure it doesnt get bigger.

She got a clean bill of health, he didnt say anything about her weight but i am a little unhappy because i think she is a little over weight.

I tried to clip my bunnies' nails last week. I managed 3/36 nails (all on Jaffa's front paws)! So yesterday they were off to see the veterinary nurses. Neither of them enjoyed the experience but it took the nurses 10 minutes to do whereas it took me over an hour to do 3 nails!

Everyone on Youtube has such calm bunnies!

It did cost me £16.66 though. I snuck Jaffa's last trim in free with his jabs but they def couldn't wait til next year's!

I did nearly cry on the way home though because Jaffy wouldn't come out of the carrier so the nurse grabbed him by the scruff and yanked him. I know he wouldn't be too hurt by this but I'm such a softy with my buns. I'm dreading ever having to give them medication or anything. :/

You tube buns must be robots!

I tried to clip my bunnies' nails last week. I managed 3/36 nails (all on Jaffa's front paws)! So yesterday they were off to see the veterinary nurses. Neither of them enjoyed the experience but it took the nurses 10 minutes to do whereas it took me over an hour to do 3 nails!

Everyone on Youtube has such calm bunnies!

It did cost me £16.66 though. I snuck Jaffa's last trim in free with his jabs but they def couldn't wait til next year's!

I did nearly cry on the way home though because Jaffy wouldn't come out of the carrier so the nurse grabbed him by the scruff and yanked him. I know he wouldn't be too hurt by this but I'm such a softy with my buns. I'm dreading ever having to give them medication or anything. :/

I was watching videos on giving Smokey her meds and critical care after her spay, I also got her nails clipped then for £10, she was under ansayhic, so no stress there, and oh my goodness, you tube bunnies are so calm! One of them even groomed their owner while syringe feeding him! All I get are scratches and nips and a very stressed bunny! There for, I think you tube rabbits are robots.

Haha I'm definitely going to film my next attempt to clip our bunnies' nails for YouTube! That will be a much more realistic video. It takes me and my OH and we have to use a different approach for each of our bunnies as they all have their own tactics for avoiding it!

Back