• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Arthur and his new home

WelshGirl

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

Just a quick query if anyone can help - it's probably me being a bit paranoid too...

I bought my house bunny a two-storey deluxe hutch which now lives in the dining room with him. The bottom door is kept open so he can jump in and out, run up the ramp etc... He loves sitting upstairs but this morning I found him chewing huge splinters out of the upper door and it's a mess inside!!! It's not like he's locked in it as he's free range in the whole room, and i'm worried about him biting huge splinters and hurting himself. I've got someone from the RSPCA coming tomorrow for an inspection to get Arthur a gf :) so I was hoping this could be a snuggly home for them both!

It should be rabbit safe shouldn't it, as it is built FOR rabbits?!

Thanks x

A lot of things are built for rabbits but in the end it usually boils down to profit rather than any damage that might be done to it or the animal. (Edit- not saying all companies are like that but these mass built ones can't all be checked surely!)

Do you have an indoor cage you could use for a base? Or a small table that you could drape a blanket over if you don't want to use it? The hutch shouldn't harm him, just make sure you get all the bits out and perhaps get some of those metal corner things to attach to the areas he's chewing :)

Last edited:
A lot of things are built for rabbits but in the end it usually boils down to profit rather than any damage that might be done to it or the animal. (Edit- not saying all companies are like that but these mass built ones can't all be checked surely!)

Do you have an indoor cage you could use for a base? Or a small table that you could drape a blanket over if you don't want to use it? The hutch shouldn't harm him, just make sure you get all the bits out and perhaps get some of those metal corner things to attach to the areas he's chewing :)

Thanks for your help :) I have several indoor cages - he really seems to like his new hutch so i'll have to look for the metal to stop him eating the whole thing!!! :)

Thanks for your help :) I have several indoor cages - he really seems to like his new hutch so i'll have to look for the metal to stop him eating the whole thing!!! :)

I definitely recommend that metal stuff, but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called :lol: There are two types... one is this one that I have:

And then there's one that has sort of gaps in it but still basically completely covered with metal - bunny wouldn't be able to chew the wood with that either.

I'd ask my stepdad what the metal batons we used were called so you know what to google/eBay!

My bunnies are chewing up their hutch :roll: I've also heard of lots of other people on here who's rabbits do the same thing and so the hutch needs to be replaced regularly. I'm planning on getting some plastic board from b&q to cover the edges with. Oh! Just saw Yaretzi's post... I want some of that!! Before my two chew their way free :shock:

If there's the remnants of his chewing destruction then he obviously isn't eating it, so I don't know where the danger is?
I think I'd say it was annoying for you but not dangerous for him, and as I said lots of people on here have chewing buns and don't seem to think it affects health. Unless he was eating it, in which case you'd have to check the wood type and preservatives used :D

Thanks for all your advice :D

I'll have a look at the weekend what i can get - altho he seems to have calmed the chewing down a bit now! He's started on walls :shock:

Hmmm x

Giving him wood to chew (apple branches, willow) may help. Some of mine like to chew cardboard boxes to shreds. I found putting a puppy pen round the edge of the room helped the skirtingboards when mine were indoors. Best of luck. Good luck with the home check for his new gf too :wave:

Back