• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How old?/what breed?

Jordin Ross

New Kit
I'm just curious I bought this rabbit from my work today and I have no clue what breed or how old it is and I would like it if someone could give me a rough estimate? It looks to be a dwarf of some kind.

Thank you

vnjxig.jpg

sgshdu.jpg

x1llb5.jpg

I have no idea about breeds at all, if I had to take a wild guess I'd say something like Netherland dwarf or Netherland dwarf crossbreed? No idea about age either really, looks very small and young to me I'd guess no more than 6 months but not sure! S/he is very cute though and I'm sure someone more helpful than me will be along in the morning :love::love: good luck with knew bunny and welcome to RU! :)

Thank you for as much help as you could provide me with.:) and thanks for welcoming me.:p I have no clue what sex it is either.:/

I have no idea about breeds at all, if I had to take a wild guess I'd say something like Netherland dwarf or Netherland dwarf crossbreed? No idea about age either really, looks very small and young to me I'd guess no more than 6 months but not sure! S/he is very cute though and I'm sure someone more helpful than me will be along in the morning :love::love: good luck with knew bunny and welcome to RU! :)

Thank you for as much help as you could provide me with.:) and thanks for welcoming me.:p I have no clue what sex it is either.:/

Haha your welcome, wish I could be more help! :p. A rabbit-smart vet should be able to tell you what sex your bunny is, and also advise you about vaccinations and neutering etc. Or I'm sure someone on here could tell you how to work it out, I've read it can be tricky sometimes though.

Netherland dwarf, about 7 weeks. :)

I'd say purebred, though it may or may not have the dwarfing gene. A rabbit can be a purebred Netherland without actually being a dwarf; the term "dwarf" refers to actual dwarfism just like a human can have in this case, not just small stature. There will be normal rabbits without the dwarfing gene in each litter, though they don't get much larger than the dwarfs anyway. (Excuse me if you knew this already, I just thought I'd mention it!)

He/she has identical features as mine when he was that age. What a cutie! Have you picked a name yet? :love: Oh, I just saw that you aren't sure of gender. You can look up some excellent rabbit sexing guides online to learn the difference. It's quite easy once you've seen one of each. Basically it's a tube for boys and a triangle-like slit for girls, though with the younger ones sometimes you really have to, er, get it to pop out in order to see. :lol:

Thank you so much! That helped a lot! I tried looking at its sex but its hard telling when the bun is so young whatever it is its so cute!!!:)

Netherland dwarf, about 7 weeks. :)

I'd say purebred, though it may or may not have the dwarfing gene. A rabbit can be a purebred Netherland without actually being a dwarf; the term "dwarf" refers to actual dwarfism just like a human can have in this case, not just small stature. There will be normal rabbits without the dwarfing gene in each litter, though they don't get much larger than the dwarfs anyway. (Excuse me if you knew this already, I just thought I'd mention it!)

He/she has identical features as mine when he was that age. What a cutie! Have you picked a name yet? :love: Oh, I just saw that you aren't sure of gender. You can look up some excellent rabbit sexing guides online to learn the difference. It's quite easy once you've seen one of each. Basically it's a tube for boys and a triangle-like slit for girls, though with the younger ones sometimes you really have to, er, get it to pop out in order to see. :lol:

S/he is very cute, im sure their will be a thread somewhere about sexing your rabbit or if you take it to a vet that deals with rabbits then they will be able to tell you :love::love:

Awww what a wee cutie :love: definitely looks very netherland dwarf by the shape of the head and very young too, prob no more than 10 weeks old I would guess

Thanks for all the help guys but I have one more question. What would a bunny this young eat? He/she doesn't seem to be eating pellets I gave him/her some timothy hay.

I also haven't seen any signs of poop or pee this doesn't seem normal for a bunny.:/

Last edited:
how long have you had him/her? Poos and wees are very important, not seeing them is a sign of illness and needs vet treatment asap!

You need to get the bunny to the vets now, no excuses I'm afraid as in such a young bunny this could be fatal very quickly

Not even a day I bought him/her yesterday at 7pm

Rabbits should really be eating and going to the toilet all the time. If they go for a long period without eating it can give them something called GI Stasis and the rabbit can die. I was told that if a rabbit went 4 hours without eating you should contact a vet immediately, and if a rabbits droppings change or if it stops pooing or urinating then get it to the vet immediately. That's why even before rabbits go for operations they can eat right up until they are put under.
Hopefully someone on here with more experience can give more advice, but I'd say get the bunny to a vet.

Not all vets know about rabbits, so you'd need to check yours is a rabbit savvy vet first. Good luck!! Your bunny is very cute and I hope she's ok.

Thank you both, I'll have to see what I can do there's hardly vets around me that do stuff with bunnies
:( I've had one bun pass away because of GI I don't want another to.:/

Rabbits should really be eating and going to the toilet all the time. If they go for a long period without eating it can give them something called GI Stasis and the rabbit can die. I was told that if a rabbit went 4 hours without eating you should contact a vet immediately, and if a rabbits droppings change or if it stops pooing or urinating then get it to the vet immediately. That's why even before rabbits go for operations they can eat right up until they are put under.
Hopefully someone on here with more experience can give more advice, but I'd say get the bunny to a vet.

Not all vets know about rabbits, so you'd need to check yours is a rabbit savvy vet first. Good luck!! Your bunny is very cute and I hope she's ok.

You need to get the bunny to the vets now, no excuses I'm afraid as in such a young bunny this could be fatal very quickly

UPDATE: the bunny will eat grass/hay and these carrot slim treats I bought some lettuce to see if it'd eat that and has not tried to yet.

UPDATE: the bunny will eat grass/hay and these carrot slim treats I bought some lettuce to see if it'd eat that and has not tried to yet.

That's good! :) She's quite young so she might not be eating veg yet. I'd go slowly with that and not worry too much about it. Are you feeding her the same food she was on before you got her?

Grass and hay is the most important part of a rabbit's diet and should be 80% or more of what they eat. They should have access to have or grass at all times. So you're doing that right.

I wouldn't feed fresh veg/salad at this age and if you do only tiny tiny amounts.

Have you seen any pops at all?

Bunny will probably be very scared at being in a new place and on his own for the first time ever and stress can affect their eating. I would try and keep him quiet and calm and they appreciate being stroked right on the top of the head with one finger because that's where their mum used to lick them. :)

If you don't see any pools though I would rush to the vets because that's a huge problem. Hope bunny is okay.

The bunny looks 6-8 weeks which is a little on the young side to be sold, they are better with their mum until 8 weeks. You need to be consistent with food, and feed the same things they grew up on, so the same brand of pellet, plus hay, and don't start greens yet if he/she hasn't had them before (give her a few weeks to settle in first).

Keep an eye on the droppings, they are the best indication if things are going well or if there is a problem.

Back