• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you bath a rabbit?

When we took Leo on his old owners gave us mite shampoo which their vet gave them :? I didn't believe that he needed the shampoo (which required daily baths..)
We took him to our vets who said to give him that spot on or something and brush the dandruff out. Within 2 weeks they were gone and his fur had grown back. He had them pretty bad too :(

I thought it was a nono? Would you bathe them in mite shampoo?

You can bath a bunny but I would only do so on the instruction of a vet. There are mite shampoos out there there are much better treatments out there.

Harry used to get lice or mites (not sure which, from the wild animals in the garden) all the time and I found spot on treatments worked just fine and didn't stress him or me out! :lol:

Only time I bathed a rabbit was when they had a sticky bottom and I just washed that, not the whole bun.

Mite shampoo used to be quite common years ago, now, thankfully, there are much easier options! There are very few circumstances where it would be a good idea to bath a rabbit, and even most of those you only need to get the part that needs cleaning wet.

be warned, if you try to give a targeted bum-bath to a rabbit, s/he might love the water and roll about in it. don't know why my buns took so well to bath-time, but i had to buy them a hairdryer of their own... although i now have rabbit shampoo in the house, it isn't something i'd do unless they were seriously in need.

I thought so, just on my fb someone had bathed their rabbit as it may have had mites! Didn't think it was a good idea. I had to wash Busters bum once as I found him in the toilet when I got back from work but only washed his bum and back legs

Back