• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging box sand or soil

dextertherat

Young Bun
Hi
I want to make a large digging box for my buns but not sure what to put in it. I want either soil or sand but which is best/safest. If I use sand, which type and if I use soil which is safe? I cant just get some out of our garden as we have weed control fabric on top of ours so we'd have to buy it from a garden/building centre. Help! I'm clueless! :D

Lola has a sand box, I just keep the sand moist so it's not dusty, she loves it and flops in it and everything! :D

what type of sand do you use? that might sound a strange question but when I looked at sand in b&q there were about 5 different types. Oh bunny flops, how cute!! :love:

I gave ours digging boxes with children's play sand in, the sort you'd put in a sandpit. One of my bunnies loved it and dug in it, rolled in it and spread it around, one of them ignored it completely, and one of them tried to eat it so it had to be confiscated!

I might have to give them one of each and see which they prefer! and obviously keep a close eye incase they decide to eat it!!! :roll:

I would use topsoil from a DIY shop. Compost may have been treated and you never really know what it contains. Sand could get in their eyes and cats may use it as a toilet.

Back