• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So exited I just HAD to share!

DarceyH

Warren Scout
Ok, so five weeks ago tomorrow, I took in a rabbit called Smokey who has had a rather rubbish start to life, I have written about it a few times on here, so I will be brief. She was dumped on the door step of a city farm I used to volunteer for in the middle of winter, and they don't have enough room for all the rabbits that get dumped on them (unfortunately its a lot.) She spent all day every day in a small box like space about half a foot in all directions. She was only ever handled when being held to have her nails clipped, as all the rabbits nails grew as they had no exercise. (She is roughly a year old) I absolutely fell in love with her, and I truly think she was ment for me, I told her this once while she was still at the farm, i was working on my parents for space in the garden for her, and after they said yes (I have been wanting to get rabbits since I was 10. I'm now almost 20) I knew it was ment to be!

Sorry, that really wasn't very brief! Anyway, so when I got her home, she was absolutely terrified of everything, she suddenly had much more space and access to grass (which she had never seen before!) and then when I gave her worming treatment she was not a happy bunny!

But after days of sitting quietly in her run, feeding her treats (not to many) and reciving the occasional nip as she was probably very nervous, today I have finally had a break through, and an amazing surprise!
I was just sitting in the corner reading out loud (I was told that it was good for her to get used to my voice) occasionally giving her her pellets either out of my palm, or just offering her one in my fingers, she came over to me and started grooming my leg!

I was so happy and felt so honoured I just had to share! While I have been writing this post (I'm still in the run) she has come over to groom me twice, and has been jumping on my lap, (this post has taken a while, I have been very distracted! She has just jumped onto my lap and taken some of the pellets I have in a cup there! I never thought she would ever do that!)

Sorry for the very long and raving post, but I absolutely over the moon! I can't stop smiling!!!!!

That's great news :thumb::thumb:

Perhaps she loves the story you're telling her too! hehe! :lol:

Awww thats a lovely story well done you. You sound like a fantastic and very patient bunny owner.

Is she spayed do you know? If not you might find she relaxes even more once she is

Soon

Awww thats a lovely story well done you. You sound like a fantastic and very patient bunny owner.

Is she spayed do you know? If not you might find she relaxes even more once she is

Since we don't know anything about her background, I don't actually know, but as soon as I can get her there on a week day, she will be. I hope to find her a companion too as soon as she is spayed (or we find out she already is!)

Thank you all for you lovely comments! It's nice to be able to share with such lovely bunny lovers!!

thank you for posting such a lovely & moving story. I'm smiling too.
A big well done & remember this is just the beginning of a delightful relationship.:D

That sounds really special:love:

Out of interest - what were you reading to her? I've never thought of reading to my buns but it may help when they are poorly.

Well done for being patient and waiting for her to come to you.

Nothing special

That sounds really special:love:

Out of interest - what were you reading to her? I've never thought of reading to my buns but it may help when they are poorly.

Well done for being patient and waiting for her to come to you.

Just what ever book I was reading at the time, it was some silly adolescent romance I think, but as it seemed to work so well, I thought I would try reading Watership Down with her! I have never actually read it, and what better time to then with a rabbit! :)

Awwwwww what a great story. Really lovely. How great to have your patience rewarded. Lucky Smokey.

Well done you, you've saved a poor little bunny :D and it is really lovely when a rabbit gives you affection, makes you go all warm and fuzzy inside :D

Back