• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you complain about this?

midori1999

Alpha Buck
We visited a children's farm today and they had lots of bunnies. Mostly the enclosures were great, quite a few giant buns who shared small paddocks with donkeys etc, large barn enclosures. It looked like the buns were all shut away safely at night and some bunnies had fans pointed at their enclosures, which really impressed me.

However, one enclosure with two adults and two babies (maybe about 4 weeks old) didn't have any water, which is obviously disgraceful, particularly in weather like this. I couldn't see a staff member, so as I could grab their bowl I filled it up myself.

Other than that there were quite a few single buns and several were kept with guinea pigs.

Am I being overly fussy or would you email them?

We visited a children's farm today and they had lots of bunnies. Mostly the enclosures were great, quite a few giant buns who shared small paddocks with donkeys etc, large barn enclosures. It looked like the buns were all shut away safely at night and some bunnies had fans pointed at their enclosures, which really impressed me.

However, one enclosure with two adults and two babies (maybe about 4 weeks old) didn't have any water, which is obviously disgraceful, particularly in weather like this. I couldn't see a staff member, so as I could grab their bowl I filled it up myself.

Other than that there were quite a few single buns and several were kept with guinea pigs.

I would 100% email. It's not acceptable

I would, definitely. It is so important that they have access to water, especially in this weather. Someone is obviously not doing their job and needs pulling up on it. X

If there was a bowl there is might just have been one had tossed it about and emptied it, so I'd email but not be too 'how dare you' if you follow. It might be they check regularly and it would have been filled on the next pass particularly if everything else looked good.

I'd also be concerned about the rabbits with the donkeys - a rabbit could easily be injured/killed by them.

Definitely keep it to 'just so you're aware, one of your rabbits didn't have any water earlier. I suppose he must have knocked it over? I thought I'd let you know, so you were aware that you might need to check on them more frequently in this weather to ensure they've always got water?'

Yeah, it might be an idea to ask if they could get the giant bottles to wire to a wall, that way the bunnies could have bowls and if they get kicked over there is at least a plan B with plenty of water in. If they get the largest bottles they wouldn't need checking too often.

Definitely! If you do a quick google search you'll find lots of good articles on why rabbits should absolutely not be kept with guinea pigs, include some of these in the email as evidence :)

Definitely! If you do a quick google search you'll find lots of good articles on why rabbits should absolutely not be kept with guinea pigs, include some of these in the email as evidence :)

I've just been to buy food from the local pet shop rather than my usual place as I was running low. They are doing just this. :(

Thanks for replying.

I wasn't planning on going in all guns blazing, but I will send them a gently worded email.

Does the Rabbit Welfare Association have any info on bunnies and guineas being kept together at all?

I was at blair Drummond the other day and they had two rabbits and two guineas living together. There enclosure wasn't that big then I spotted a fence panel missing n thought oh no they could easily squeeze through that. But the next enclosure was for them too so was impressed by the size. But not by them being altogether and they had wood shavings in the hutch. :/

Back