• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My beautiful feisty girl Poppy died this morning

Den

Mama Doe
I knew something was wrong when I went to give them their breakfast. She didn't leap around for her food, just lay in her digging box- she even let me stroke her. I tried tempting her with treats but she wouldn't eat so just as we decided to call the vet she tried to get up but had a kind of fit across the floor of the run. It was awful to see. I screamed for Oh who gently lifted her and she calmed down but didn't struggle on being held like usual. We rushed her (with Will for company) to the vet but they could not save her. They couldn't find an obvious cause - they could not feel an obstruction - but did ask if she had had breathing problems as there was the tiniest bit of mucus around her nose. But she'd been fine until this morning. - eating and drinking normally. I hadn't noticed any breathing problems. I am in bits I'd only had her just over. 3 months. And god knows what poor Will will do. Please someone tell me whether this could be caused by cigarette smoke as my daughter in law has been smoking outside but up the garden not near the buns. My beautiful girl is now buried in our garden. Me oh and my big tough nearly 18 year old son all sobbed and sobbed. Sorry for going on but I know you'll all understand.

Oh I'm so sorry :cry::cry::cry:

It really is impossible to guess what might have caused it without a PM. It could have been so many things, they're such fragile animals :cry:

I wouldn't think your daughter in law smoking would have affected them as long as she was a good distance away from them.

Sorry again for your loss, unfortunately most of us on here know exactly how you're feeling right now :cry: (((((HUGS))))))

Thanks for your kind words and support. Although every post has made me cry afresh, it does mean a lot to me. My thoughts are all over the place wondering whether I did anything wrong, should I have noticed anything. She had been a little bolshier than usual, but I assumed it was because we had family staying and the gardens been noisy with my little grandson, but they weren't near the buns scaring them or anything. She'd eaten well yesterday, her poops were fine, they were even fine this morning, altho she did them in the digging box which neither of them have done before. The run/hutch combo is in the shade. I wish I'd asked for a pm now. Thanks for "listening"

Thanks for your kind words and support. Although every post has made me cry afresh, it does mean a lot to me. My thoughts are all over the place wondering whether I did anything wrong, should I have noticed anything. She had been a little bolshier than usual, but I assumed it was because we had family staying and the gardens been noisy with my little grandson, but they weren't near the buns scaring them or anything. She'd eaten well yesterday, her poops were fine, they were even fine this morning, altho she did them in the digging box which neither of them have done before. The run/hutch combo is in the shade. I wish I'd asked for a pm now. Thanks for "listening"

Please try not to blame yourself, guilt is just a natural and horrible part of the grieving process :cry:

It sounds like she was a very lucky bun, well loved and cared for which is unfortunately much more than a lot of buns ever have :love:

Please don't blame yourself. It's not always owners fault for a bun to die. I'm sure you gave her everything you could and that she was really happy living with you. Poppy, rest in peace. :cry: *hugs for you*

So sorry to hear about Poppy. Like others have said I doubt it was you or your sister in law that caused Poppy's death that morning, please don't blame yourselves it sounded like she had a lovely life and you did everything you could to try to save her.

RIP Poppy xx

Back