• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm not enjoying having rabbits any more

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Obviously I love them as much as ever, but I'm so sick and literally so tired of all the problems. Grim's snuffles and ridiculous amount of medication and Smoo's abscess that was drained in January and is still leaking. Her other abscesses and tumours and having to decide whether to operate more or keep her comfortable and having to look at her every day and make the descison all over again. And the heat and flystrike scare on top of all of that. I'm just not enjoying them any more. My day to day life is controlled by them. I'm out at work for 11 hours a day where I worry about them back at home. It's the only time I can phone the vets so things happen like: I pop into a quiet room and have a long conversation with the vets about Smoo's health and options and keeping her comfortable until it's time. I'm feeling a bit raw, then I go and have to throw myself back into work and discussions and not let it affect me.

When I get home I have to clean them out straight away and do all the medication, I can't stay after work for drinks with people and somehow while doing that I have to make dinner. I usually don't eat until 8 or 9 at night and I try to be in bed by half 10.

I can't go away without tonnes of planning and that's only for two nights max. Longer and I have to take them with me which is even more planning.

It makes me so sad because sometimes I think it will be nice when I don't have to do all this any more, but then I'll be broken because I will have lost my beloved pets.

I don't get to enjoy them enough any more. But I try to make just a little time to sit down and just stroke them and tell them how much I love them. My baby bunnies Grim and Smoo who are so I'll yet still enjoy life to the full. They are amazing rabbits and I'd do anything for them.

Last edited:
Oh Jen, I could cry for you :cry:

It's obvious how much you love them and totally understandable how you're feeling. I remember feeling exactly like that when Mimi had her head tilt and that was only for 6 weeks :oops:

Your love and dedication to them is astounding, they're very lucky rabbits :love:

I'll take them in for you and give them the care and veterinary treatment they need, they can have a place at our Sanctaury for the rest of their lives

I felt the same when I had Mae, it was so exhausting and I wasn't able to just enjoy being around them because I was constantly on edge and working out when I next needed to feed, medicate, clean her

I'll take them in for you and give them the care and veterinary treatment they need, they can have a place at our Sanctaury for the rest of their lives

I couldn't do that! It's a generous offer but one, Smoo is from BARC and it's in the adoption agreement that she would always go back there. Two, I could never let someone else make the important decisions about which direction to take treatment. Three, they are very happy where they are, although they're both laid back I'm sure they'd be happy anywhere. And four, they're my pets, my family. When I took them on I made the decision to look after them and that they were my responsibility and I would never give them up for my benefit. If I felt I couldn't give them the care they needed it would be different, but I can and so I will. I try to teach people that if you take on an animal you take it on for better and for worse. Maybe it's more worse at the moment but if I can't deal with it I should not be allowed pets.

And I love then far too much.

I couldn't do that! It's a generous offer but one, Smoo is from BARC and it's in the adoption agreement that she would always go back there. Two, I could never let someone else make the important decisions about which direction to take treatment. Three, they are very happy where they are, although they're both laid back I'm sure they'd be happy anywhere. And four, they're my pets, my family. When I took them on I made the decision to look after them and that they were my responsibility and I would never give them up for my benefit. If I felt I couldn't give them the care they needed it would be different, but I can and so I will. I try to teach people that if you take on an animal you take it on for better and for worse. Maybe it's more worse at the moment but if I can't deal with it I should not be allowed pets.

And I love then far too much.

:love:

I'm so sorry Jenova (((((((((((((((Huge hugs)))))))))))))) it is a sad thing to say but I do know how you feel and that's without having a job outside of the home to go to as well. It must be a huge burden.
But at the same time, what would our life be like without them? It is both imaginable and unthinkable and we kick ourselves for even considering it and yet long for the time when the responsibility is off our shoulders.
Ever since Mimzy's tilt life with the bunnies has become a struggle. He is stable now but no idea how long it will last. Everyday I asses if he still has QOL and everyday I answer both yes and no. All my plans for bonding them as a trio went poof. Getting each one exercised properly is a huge undertaking since they all need to be done singly. And if they have mucky bums or nail trims/grooming due it is even longer. It costs me hours to even get motivated to do their clean up chores some days and then I'm not in bed till stupid o' clock each night fretting over any forgotten details. I still have a huge move to anticipate how I am going to get them through it, NOT looking forward to that for any of us! In the meantime Mimzy and the other two just keep aging, brewing new troubles because of it, and it seems like whatever time I do have with them, barring my other pets and what it takes to keep them happy and comfortable (a few of them also getting old and infirm) it just doesn't seem to be enough or that much fun sometimes. :(
But they are my babies. I made a commitment and I will stick with it, come what may. I couldn't imagine anyone else taking that oath. I've felt that way about all my animals. I have tended, loved and buried quite a few in my day and have a few more to do the same for now...when all these are gone...then, no more.

I wish I could wave a magic wand and make them both all better for you. But you do such an amazing job with them. They are both so obviously loved. I marvel at your devotion to them. :) Would that more folks could reach that zenith with their pets.
And you have the gift in that you are still young. I will be 50 in a few months and I feel 90! The worry alone about every sickness with the bunnies has taken years off my life. But I wouldn't trade the time I've had, even in illness, with them or my other pets for anything in the world.

Sending supportive vibes and comforting hugs for you and noserubs for Smoo and Grim. xxxx

MimzMum, I feel exactly the same.

I really don't think I'll have rabbits again for a long time after these two. It took me three years until I was ready after Lopsie and he was healthy all his life until right at the end. But even ad I type that I know a needy rabbit will come along and I'll think about it...

I know how you feel, I really do.

By the end with my bunnies, I wasn't able to go out hardly at all, due to the round the clock meds. The stress of constantly watching for poos and stasis, along with the waiting for the day the inevitable decisions that had to be made, really took their toll.

When Dusty was PTS I was absolutely distraught, and I felt lost at not needing to be thinking about meds all day long (it's going to be the same when Cassie pig dies, as I'm at the same stage with her now too), but I did feel some level of freedom at being able to actually do some other things at last.

Thinking of you x

I'm sorry you're not nearer or I'd cook you some dinners to freeze and then you could just defrost them for when you got home.

Is that an option perhaps, could you make a big batch of dinners at the weekend (things like bolognese sauce freeze as good as fresh) and then freeze them into portions, then get them out in the morning? That would save you cooking when you get back then you'd gain an hour or so in the evening for yourself. I know it's not ideal, but at least you'd save a bit of time even if you did it one or two nights a week. We do that here, I'm disabled and it makes such a difference for when I'm having a bad day.

Other than that all I can say is I'm so sorry you're finding it hard, I know just from worrying about one bunny for 2 days after his routine operation what a worry it is and how desperate I was to get home just to check on him from things, so you must feel so worried all the time. Lots of hugs. My inbox is open all the time! xxx

Big hugs xxx some days I feel just the same, and my buns are generally not sick most of the time. But I love them so much that caring for them has become a bit of an obsession, they take up absolutely all of my time. I would never give them up either, but it is a struggle xxx

I'm very blessed to have a lovely healthy bun, I can't imagine the struggle it must be for those who have rabbits who will need this sort of care for the rest of their lives.

I completely admire you all, for not giving up on them, accepting the commitment you made when you had them, and doing this day in day out without any spare time for yourself. Its truly selfless and if there were more people like you the world would be a much better place.

I'm sorry you're feeling so low, and although you will have the same cycle tomorrow, tomorrow is still another day and I hope you can feel more positive.

Hugs xxx

I can only echo what others have said, & offer huge (((Hugs)))
I only had 1 poorly rabbit needing intensive care & he was my only commitment. I found the emotional roller coaster with his illness, & the constant self questioning about his quality of life more than draining.

I can certainly empathise with the other things you've said.
Especially the loss of that prime time of enjoyment with them, as life seems to become endless nursing care & medication. Even Thumper protested at me, as I was combing him several times a day worried that any fur would send him into a final stasis. He grabbed the comb, flung it across the room & put his head in my hand as if to say, "For heaven's sake just stroke me occasionally".
I also believe very strongly that once any animal comes under my roof they're family, & it's for better & worse. I'm responsible. Somehow it's the sense of responsibility which is a heavy load too.
Finally there's knowing that we can't win this battle, only defer the inevitable end, & the quality of life issues circle round again. Because of my temperament the emotional roller coaster also put me in & out of pre emptive grieving mode.

I have no idea how you manage with 2 very sick bunnies, & a demanding job as well. I have total admiration for you.

My only suggestion is please remember your B vitamins & even increase your normal dose, to at least keep that side of you in top condition.

If there's anything at all I can do to ease the stress on you, anything at all, just contact me. Please.

Big hugs :( I can't imagine how hard it must be for you. You can always come chat to me if you're feeling rubbish.

Have you tried using a slow cooker/crockpot? There are some gorgeous crockpot recipes you can make so they'll be ready when you get back, if you fancied doing that? You don't even have to peel any carrots etc, you can just scrub them and chop them and chuck them in! Really easy and yummy :love:

Back