• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sore hocks

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Poor Elf has been holding his front feet up and sure enough I checked and all four paws seem to be painful/affected (slightly red/less fur/one infected-looking). Inevitably, he's a mini-rex. I suspect arthritis too as his fur seems ungroomed so have given metacam and am waiting for vet to ring back. He free ranges 24/7 in a large secure garden so am wondering what else can be done as flooring can't be changed. :(

Poor boy :cry:

It is important to address any infection promptly and in some cases it may be necessary to separate a Rabbit with a bacterial pododermatitis from other Rabbits. Some strains of bacteria can spread through an entire group eg Staphylococcous aureus

If the primary problem is arthritis the daily metacam should begin to help in a few days time.

Thanks Jane.

The metacam has kicked in and I saw him grooming, so suspect we are dealing with something arthritic. He has a vets appt and we will address the infection then but it seems very slight and I don't want to isolate him as that would really stress him. :?

I found f10 barrier cream really good for Grim's feet. His was not an infection but urine scald and from problems cleaning as he has no front teeth if poo got stuck on he couldn't get it off. If it's infection it's different but if it's not I really recommend it.

Back