• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pippin has a small spur, why?

jazxo

Mama Doe
Pippin got her vaccinations at the vets yesterday and the vet checked her teeth and said she had a tiny spur on one side but it wasn't doing any damage but we should keep an eye on it.

She's such a good hay eater, eats a lot more than your average rabbit so why would she get a spur?

Really scared now :(

Small molar spurs are not at all uncommon, even in Rabbits who eat tons of hay. As long as she maintains her good hay intake and you get the Vet to monitor her teeth every 6-8 weeks she may never need any treatment.

Taking Donny and Lola back to the vets in 2 weeks I think it is.. As they have the 'beginnings' of spurs and they only eat hay and forage! :roll::lol: oh well.. Hopefully when they get checked again it will be okay.

Hopefully it won't amount to anything. Just hate the thought of her needing a dental when I work so hard with her diet!

One of my bunnies had little spurs at every check up for years and never once needed a dental. I imagine it's down to genetics causing a slight mismatch in jaw alignment. I also wonder if these are bunnies that not fed a good diet would be ones that end up with teeth problems. So your care with the diet might be what's stopped them being a problem :)

Back