• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm so proud of Benjie

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
He's the most demonstratively affectionate bunny ever.
He had a really bad start, found wandering trying to cross a busy dual carriageway in rush hour in early Jan & he's jet black. We also think he'd been attacked by something because there's a semicircle of tiny scars at the end of his lop ear.

It's not surprising that he was a bag of nerves when he came to me, & had a rough start with me cos he Had snuffles with the complication of 2 abscesses. We'd no chance to get to know each other before I had to do "nasty things to him"

Benjie took to the bedroom which Thumper & I had shared & I made all sorts of hidey holes to help him feel safe.
We made some progress. He lost his fear of traffic noise inside the house. It took much longer to lose his terror of my tummy rumbles, coughs & sneezes but we got there.
But Benjie just stayed in the bedroom in his hidey holes, or lay up on the threshold, rarely coming downstairs although I'd taught him how to manage them. As soon as I went into the bedroom he'd shoot out of hiding, & even start licking my ankles in a request to be stroked.:love: I couldn't understand why progress had stopped cos I'm used to caring for very fearful animals.

I seemed to enjoy a sniff of fresh air when I opened the french doors but wouldn't set a foot outside, or just make a quick expedition along the path round the house.

For the last 3 weeks he's suddenly found confidence to go into the lower end of the garden.
It's always the same routine, a quick venture out with lots of head bobbing the run back to the safety of the house. Within a minute he's out again & does a couple of binkies then back to security.
3rd time out he binkies non stop & has a whale of a time.
He's really good too, staying reasonably close to me & comes in immediately when I call. It's taken 18 months

He's done brilliantly with the snuffles too. Fingers crossed, no sneeze or discharge since we "went for it" all guns at Christmas. I'm so proud of him for overcoming his fears. He's such a darling too.

How lovely to hear that Benjie is loving life with you.
Allowing a bun who has had a hard time to blossom is a two way street, so be proud of yourself too :love:

Thank you for your lovely comments everyone.
I was so happy watching him this evening I had to share it with someone.

KB in the past I've had rescued cats which had been so badly abused they were deemed to be too fearful to rehome, & were to be pts. I asked to have them, one at a time for a month to see how we got on. Every one of them was a star. It just took patience, trying to understand their viewpoint, & of course love.
With me once under my roof means they're family.

Benjie was well under my roof before I realised that I'd only helped predators before. Prey animals are different with survival timidity.
Yes, we've both done well.
I don't expect people to remember my bridge bunny Thumper. He devised an incredible communication system with me. I was really stupid, unprepared for the complexity of his communication, & that he was straight to the point!

Benjie & I don't relate at this level but he's beginning to listen to me now. His desire to please is amazing. I hope that in time I'll understand him better.

Anyone who's been here long enough will remember your amazing relationship with Thumper!! :love: i was in awe of it, i wish i could experience that myself. You are so in tune with your animals, it's incredible :love:

Thank you for your lovely comments everyone.
I was so happy watching him this evening I had to share it with someone.

KB in the past I've had rescued cats which had been so badly abused they were deemed to be too fearful to rehome, & were to be pts. I asked to have them, one at a time for a month to see how we got on. Every one of them was a star. It just took patience, trying to understand their viewpoint, & of course love.
With me once under my roof means they're family.

Benjie was well under my roof before I realised that I'd only helped predators before. Prey animals are different with survival timidity.
Yes, we've both done well.
I don't expect people to remember my bridge bunny Thumper. He devised an incredible communication system with me. I was really stupid, unprepared for the complexity of his communication, & that he was straight to the point!

Benjie & I don't relate at this level but he's beginning to listen to me now. His desire to please is amazing. I hope that in time I'll understand him better.

Anyone who's been here long enough will remember your amazing relationship with Thumper!! :love: i was in awe of it, i wish i could experience that myself. You are so in tune with your animals, it's incredible :love:

Bless you ripminnie. I was totally green when Thumper arrived unexpectedly, but had been taught good basic care by my parents. I was in my mid 50's & my initial thought was, "heck this is like having a toddler - don't they ever stop?!!":lol:
Fortunately I was fascinated by how intelligent he was, & wondered whether it was possible to communicate. :lol: I also realised early on that Thumper wasn't being naughty he was either trying to show me something, or being what he was- a rabbit. It was up to me to either sort out his environment, or show him how to be a rabbit in a non destructive way so we could rub along together.
There was the advice seeking phase - "Rabbits xyz" - mine didn't!!
I assure you there was some hair tearing on my part for the 1st. 6 months just because of my ignorance & stupidity.

I really doubted my strength to get to know another bunny when Benjie came into my life, but I couldn't bear the thought of a baby bunny hanging round in a rescue for months waiting for his forever home when I was "all geared up " for a bunny. Benjie was totally different. Literally all he wants is to be stroked, & to lick me in return.:love:
He's just beginning to be more interested in exploring things, & participating in what I do; currently preparing vast amounts of forage for winter.
His only fault, which is actually a great complement, is his determination to kill the computer. He waits until I go to the loo for a lightening assault on the wires despite being encased in plastic, hidden in a box, & covered by a couple of blankets. :lol::lol: He's a bunny with a mission, fast worker, & knows exactly what he's doing!:lol:

BTW Benjie was going to be different in my big plan. Benjie was going to be a hay eater & just a bit of forage & he was going to have a partner bun. 5 days after arrival abscesses & snuffles changed all that.
Mind, he changed me. If I hadn't taken his left over echinaea & thanks to others on here, worked out what was wrong with me, I'd have been sent to a nursing home by now. He's literally saved my life.

Last edited:
Back