• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Newborn rabbit

Just had unexpected baby bunny today one has survived and out away from mum as mum not producing milk, any advice on care and feeding/looking after?

The Doe may not produce milk for 24-36 hours immediately after kindling. So I would put the kit back in the nest and leave the Doe to it for the next 24 hours. Obviously carefully check on them regularly, but try not to intervene too much.

Was the Buck with the Doe when she kindled ? If so he will probably have mated her again and she may well deliver another litter in about 30-32 days.

This thread may be useful to read

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

She doesn't even know she has had them though and she is only young herself, yes he was because as far as I knew they were 2 girls
Thanks
As I am syringe feeding milk how often should I do it? Every 2 hours?

A substitute kitten milk from the vets we got told to use, I just think mum may squash the bunny or try to kill it as 2 others had arms chewed

Four times a day to start as they only take the tiniest bit. Handrearing from birth is very very difficult though. If the mum has some milk you can keep the kit separate to prevent injury but hold her to the mum to feed. Calling around all the local rescues you can find on the off chance one has a young litter in would be the best chance of survival. Kitten milk just isn't that good of a match for rabbits so although it's better than nothing they don't often make it :(

I would recommend that you seek the services of an experienced EXOTICS vet. The fact that the vet could not find any teats, tells me that it is not an exotics vet, a lot of general vets now 'a' days do not have sufficient training in rabbits and without the proper care the baby is likely to not make it.
Try starting a thread in 'Rabbit chat' asking for a rabbit savvy vet in your area.
Just out of curiosity have you defiantly checked that the other rabbit is defiantly the male??

I hadn't thought of the wrong rabbit being regarded as the female and therefore the mother. I'm hoping you did take them both - if not, think you need to do a check.

I hadn't thought of the wrong rabbit being regarded as the female and therefore the mother. I'm hoping you did take them both - if not, think you need to do a check.

this and also what rachylou said :thumb:

A rabbit would know they had given birth, its not something that happens with no pain afterall.
And the hormones are produced in the body to prepare them for pregnancy and birth.

they are also sexually mature from a very young age
3 months for males and 4-6 months for females.

Rabbit teats are quite small, and as Jane said she might not produce milk immediately.

You can try feeding from the mum, by holding her in a sitting position and holding the babies nose to the teat.

Yes of course I have taken them both, they are only 7/8 months old themselves but baby is doing fine at the moment, just worried now baby has human scent mum won't like it even to feed off?

It will be fine to let it feed off mum, it's a common way to deal with babies where the mum isn't safe to leave alone with them. As you'll be holding the baby and supervising it's fine, you can try offering mum something tasty to eat at the same time so she doesn't mind staying still. It only takes a couple of minutes for the baby to feed.

If you can get it to feed from mum the chances of survival are much higher as he'll get the correct antibodies, good bacteria etc. from the milk that he can't get from substitutes.

Hi Sophie, it's Sally Claires' friend! Glad you posted on here and got some advice....the vets where we are are not the best on bunnies I know. How is baby doing and have you had any luck feeding it?

Back