• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wasted today trying to repair a hutch.

My cunning plan to repair my old hutch backfired. I had wanted to repair the hutch and use my saved money to buy new aviary panels as Pumpkin continued where Arnie left off and has eaten holes along the wooden bottom of the aviary panels.

I have had to move Treacle and Pumpkin outside permantly to the Forhsam Giant Hutch and run as together they worked as a pair and had taken to eating the top of my sofa :x . Replacing the chewed avairy panels before autumn is a must for this year.

Managed to get to the DIY place, bought a fetching shade of willow to glam the hutches after seeing anothet hutch on here. Scrubbed the thing and the outside was still sound, the bottom doors though chewed were still sound. So I started to waterproof the hutch.

Lent on the floor at the bottom of the hutch only to find whilst most fo the hutch is sound the floor was anything but. Had a good look after I went through and a poke about only to have the wood go 'puff', looks like whatever has rotted the wood may have started to work its way into the interior walls. No way am I putting a bun in a hutch that has some form of dry rot.

Admittidly its not done badly for a hutch that has seen some hard winters and serious use and chewing for 12 years but I have just wasted most of today glam painting a hutch I know I am going to have to scrap a nice shade of willow.

Oh that's a shame :( if the rest of the hutch is ok could you replace the floor maybe?

Back