• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox proofing advice.

BettyLu

Alpha Buck
Hi guys,
Need some advice here. We have ground floor flat with a balcony/patio area. Small photo here of another flat in my block :
kfh55396_2101193_IMG_0055396_2101193_IMG_00_zpsf25b11e3.jpg

so its partially enclosed and has metal with glass panels on the exterior side.

My question is - do I need to have a run with a roof on the balcony or could I fox proof the area some other way? Currently I have an X-pen that I disconnected that runs along the bottom to stop PM getting out and he roams out there when I'm at home, but I want to be able to leave him out eventually.

Don't know if that makes sense but I'm trying to think of best thing to do.

being on ground floor you will need to proof it against 2 legged foxes rather then the 4 legged variety :(
i really wouldn't leave a rabbit out there unobserved as I just can't see how you could get it secure enough against casual nutters.

Hi guys,
Need some advice here. We have ground floor flat with a balcony/patio area. Small photo here of another flat in my block :
kfh55396_2101193_IMG_0055396_2101193_IMG_00_zpsf25b11e3.jpg

so its partially enclosed and has metal with glass panels on the exterior side.

My question is - do I need to have a run with a roof on the balcony or could I fox proof the area some other way? Currently I have an X-pen that I disconnected that runs along the bottom to stop PM getting out and he roams out there when I'm at home, but I want to be able to leave him out eventually.

Don't know if that makes sense but I'm trying to think of best thing to do.

Personally I'd get a custom sized aviary made to fit the exact dimensions. The glass/metal piece needs fully meshing over and it wouldn't be very secure, so it makes sense to have a full size aviary panel there. And then you need to put aviary panels across at the height of the railing, but that's going to be hard to get into for you... plus the sides won't be very secure unless you screw everything to the walls. So yeah I'd just get a full sized aviary made, with a door where the door to the balcony is. If it's one structure you won't have to fix anything to the walls/railings so you shouldn't affect your deposit, and it'll also be secure enough to allow 24/7 access as long as the gap between the door and the aviary door is secure.

By the time you end up faffing about trying to make something it'd be easier to get an aviary imo!

Personally I'd get a custom sized aviary made to fit the exact dimensions. The glass/metal piece needs fully meshing over and it wouldn't be very secure, so it makes sense to have a full size aviary panel there. And then you need to put aviary panels across at the height of the railing, but that's going to be hard to get into for you... plus the sides won't be very secure unless you screw everything to the walls. So yeah I'd just get a full sized aviary made, with a door where the door to the balcony is. If it's one structure you won't have to fix anything to the walls/railings so you shouldn't affect your deposit, and it'll also be secure enough to allow 24/7 access as long as the gap between the door and the aviary door is secure.

By the time you end up faffing about trying to make something it'd be easier to get an aviary imo!

Ah, fair enough, bit out of my price range unfortunately though! Plus my management company would moan if I put something that was higher than the balcony in there. Against my contract to even hang my washing outside lol. I don't have a deposit, I own my flat but even still, leasee rules! But thanks for the suggestion.

being on ground floor you will need to proof it against 2 legged foxes rather then the 4 legged variety :(
i really wouldn't leave a rabbit out there unobserved as I just can't see how you could get it secure enough against casual nutters.

I'm pretty sure a human could open the hutch and steal my rabbit if they wanted haha.

Can you buy a metal run which comes with metal roof and sides to protect PM as he plays? You really do need a roof tbh and a metal run can be secured with padlocks. You're in London aren't you so I imagine foxes are a large risk as well as cats maybe. I use 4 of these combined to create a massive run after we had a cat attack. But you would only need one or maybe even the smaller version.

This looks good too although maybe a bit tall.

Back