• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i got my bun spayed and now she wants nothing to do with me

hey guys! earlier this year, about march, i got a new rabbit. i've had a few before so i thought she'd be similar (cuddly, warm and loving) and once she got used to my boyfriend and i, she did like to say hi and be pet and such, but she's never liked cuddling or being picked up. she's super playful and a pure lionhead if that helps. (she's not a house roaming bunny because we have dogs too, but i have her in my room and have her cage open from when i wake up to when i go to bed so she's free to run around.)
but we wanted to bond her so we got her spayed in may, and it took about a week until she would even acknowledge me. unfortunately two weeks after her spaying i had to leave town for a week and my parents took care of her for me. when i got back she was pretty cold, which i expected, but even after she warmed up to me again, it's been a month and it seems like she doesn't like me at all. she's completely different towards me since she was spayed, like she doesn't trust me. she won't approach me and rarely hangs out near me and when i reach in her cage to pet her, she runs into her hiding hole. the only way i can get her to stay for even a moment is with a treat, but she runs away immediately after again. when i'm lying in bed she'll jump over me a few times or sit on my back, and dig the blankets beside me, but she shies away whenever i try to make contact or say hi. i think it's because i picked her up a few times to go outside, but usually she forgets about it once we're out.
she loves my teen brother however, and will run to him for cuddles and being pet. he likes her but acts kind of neutral to her, which is confusing because i shower her with love and treats and affection and play with her and talk to her and she treats me like the food dispenser, and just kind of tolerates my presence. idunno, is there something i'm doing wrong? if i offended her that long ago, will she still dislike me? is there something i can do to win back her trust?

Generally rabbits despise being picked up. She probably likes your brother because he doesn't try to pick her up or hold her.

To gain a rabbit's trust you really need to understand them. A rabbit is not a dog that you can hug and kiss etc. A rabbit is a very proud animal and knowing what they are telling you is very important.

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/ <--- I recommend this website to everybody who is new to bunnies. It helped me a lot to understand Fiver and it does show you how to communicate with rabbits.

Really, to regain her trust you need to sit on the floor with her and let her come to you. Offer her treats, but DO NOT try to touch her. Eventually she will realise that when you give her a treat, you aren't going to try to pick her up or touch her, and she will stop running away. When she seems to be more comfortable around you, then offer your hand to her, do it slowly. Let her sniff your hand and see what she does. She may sniff it and then run off (my doe does this when she is not happy with me). I would keep doing this until she seems comfortable with your hand and then gently stroke her nose. If she places her chin on the floor, this is her telling you that you should be "grooming" her (stroking her nose and ears).
It can take a while to gain a bunny's trust, some are more social than others. My doe is happy for nose rubs but only when she asks for them and she HATES being picked up, my buck loves to be picked up and squished and hugged and kissed, it depends on the individual the same as people.

Back