• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny with glaucoma suddenly scanning u/d nystagmus

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Hi folks,
My bunny with glaucoma has suddenly started scanning. I know scanning is normally indicative of sight problems, is this probably what's happened here? Has she lost all sight now :cry:

She isn't quite herself either. Not moving about much and seems a bit disorientated. I've a vets appointment in a bit, but not my usual vet unfortunately.

Last edited:
Hi :wave:

it could be that she has lost her sight and that is why she is scanning or her sight has got worse. We have had two blind bunnies that scanned, Is it Fozzie that's scanning? Bless her.

Good Luck for your vet appointment xxx

Hiya, :wave:
Yes it's Fozzie. Started the day after she got home. It's really awful to watch as she seems quite distressed when I pick her up. Doesn't appear to do it when she is hopping about though? Just when sat still.

It's interesting trying to get those eye drops in her!

Well, by luck, I saw a brilliant vet!

Bad news is though, it's not scanning, it's nystagmus. So, at best it's an inner ear infection, at worst, something more sinister. So we have antibiotics and panacur, and basically see what happens next.

:(

Oh dear what a shame she so doesn't deserve it and we were so happy as her eye looked so good and now this :(

Hopefully the panacur will help, sending get well Vibes for her xxxx

Well, by luck, I saw a brilliant vet!

Bad news is though, it's not scanning, it's nystagmus. So, at best it's an inner ear infection, at worst, something more sinister. So we have antibiotics and panacur, and basically see what happens next.

:(

Poor Bun :cry:

Nystagmus can be a feature of Glaucoma, so I would think that could be the issue for Fozzie

Did the Vet also prescribe a non steroidal anti-inflammatory too ?

If it is of any help horizontal or rotary nystagmus is usually occurs in cases of inner ear infection. Vertical or positional nystagmus occurs with EC

Rotary nystagmus can sometimes indicate a mass or infection in the brain.

I hope that Fozzie remains comfortable xx

Foz has been on loxicom since she was diagnosed with glaucoma, for the pain of the condition, so she is still on that, plus maxitrol and mydriacyl. (And now baytril and panacur)

It's definitely horizontal movement....but I've been watching her closely and I'm wondering if it is just that she has lost her sight? She isn't moving about as much, tending to stick to her litter trays and staying in one area. She doesn't scan nor her eyes twitch when she is hopping about, or relaxed.

The nystagmus is worse when I pick her up for her Meds and she's sat on the worktop (stressed or in new environment)

I just can't tell.

Foz has been on loxicom since she was diagnosed with glaucoma, for the pain of the condition, so she is still on that, plus maxitrol and mydriacyl. (And now baytril and panacur)

It's definitely horizontal movement....but I've been watching her closely and I'm wondering if it is just that she has lost her sight? She isn't moving about as much, tending to stick to her litter trays and staying in one area. She doesn't scan nor her eyes twitch when she is hopping about, or relaxed.

The nystagmus is worse when I pick her up for her Meds and she's sat on the worktop (stressed or in new environment)

I just can't tell.

It is not unusual for the nystagmus to worsen when Bun is picked up/stressed. I hope she will show some sign of improvement soon. Buns I have had who have developed Glaucoma responded better to Azopt than to Maxitrol

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/seniors-health/medicines/azopt-eye-drops.html

Back