• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Using superglue on a broken claw?

Stator

Warren Veteran
If the claw is split and you think it could catch on something and rip apart, causing a lot of pain, would you use a tiny spot of superglue to hold it together and stop it splitting any further?

Thoughts?

He doesn't have see-through claws but it goes quite far up, much further than I would ever cut off :?

It won't hurt that much if it comes off or splits.
It'll just be like a broken nail fir a human.
Id just cut as far up as I could and let it grow out naturaly.
Superglue will not be safe for them to be licking etc.
And then there's the question of how you'd get bun to sit still for long enough for it to dry.
I wouldn't risk it.

I'd leave it. Buckley's dew claw on his front left paw split in the quick and Jason said the only way he could fix it would be to remove the claw under GA. Keep checking it for signs of infection but it should grow out on its own :)

The split itself hasn't touched the quick, it hasn't bled. But I think it's below the quick, so I can't cut it off at that point without getting the quick :?

The split itself hasn't touched the quick, it hasn't bled. But I think it's below the quick, so I can't cut it off at that point without getting the quick :?

I would just trim it back as far as you can to help to prevent it from catching and then keep a check on the growth.

Trim it back as far as you can and put a plaster/bandage around it for now. If it is danger of being torn off you might need to as the vet to remove the nail or create bandage sock until/if it refuses. There is such a thing as a spray on plaster that may help. I think Savlon make it. Either way I'd steer clear of glue.

Honestly, I don't think that's a bad idea. I'm sure I've heard about superglue being used on humans instead of stitches. I am no expert on rabbits and toxicity though!

I really wouldn't, the second you put it on the fumes are going to be burning the rabbits nose, possibly stinging if the quick is exposed, and the rabbit will just go lick itself straight away anyway. Rabbits break their claws all the time, most people don't even notice until it comes to clipping them, some even rip them fully out, and they've been fine so yeah I wouldn't worry about it. The best thing to do would probably be to clip/pull the snapped bit off as quick as possible (like when you wax for example, you want to do it quick not slow or it hurts more) but I don't think I could do that to one of my rabbits, so if you can't then I imagine they'd just chew the nail off themselves anyway if it was painful to walk on

as others have said, id defo not use superglue, as the fumes mentioned above and the toxicity to rabbit when they groom, adults have special medical glue put on them, but then again we don't lick to clean ourselves, but id try and cut it as neat as possible, but if your still concerned ask your vet to take a look

I don't think it was as bad as I thought, a bit of it has come off. I was scared that it was much further in. I know what it's like to have a nail ripped half off and it's worse than having it fully off. You keep banging it on things and it keeps hurting, that's what I was afraid of most, the constant pain every time he ran about.
I still think it's a sound approach, it would only take a tiny drop of superglue. It dries really fast and obviously would wait for it to dry properly. The fumes wouldn't be a problem for such a tiny drop and would dissipate quickly. The only question is licking it, but once it's hardened I don't think you could get any serious transfer. Oh well, I wouldn't have done it unless someone had already tried it.

I'm not going to clip his rear claws again, he's too much of a flincher. It's too risky and I don't think they get that long anyway since he runs about on the patio.

Thanks for all your input :)

You can use superglue to close wounds so I can't see why not either, provided you can restrain bun until it's dried.

Back