• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help!

HedwigGirl

Young Bun
So my rabbit has never really liked timothy hay, he never seemed to eat any, so we switched him to Orchard Grass hay. To encourage him even more, we mixed in some greens with it. He really seemed to love this, and had fun foraging through, and we could see him eating some hay in the process, and figured that some was better than none. Some of his poops had a golden-ish tinge, so I figured all was well.

Recently, he stopped eating his dry food, or hardly ate any. He ate greens, grass, and some hay. I figured this was okay as long as he was eating something. I decided to just keep observing him. He also had some diarrhea, and because we have had a ton of rain here, I thought that wet greens might have something to do with it. But now. It. Has been happening for a couple days and I'm starting to get worried.

Additionally, during the summer, he likes to lay stretched out on the bottom level of his hutch on the cool earth. But the past couple of days he hasn't been coming to the top level at all during the day (we keep him in the top at night). Today, I let him go down to the bottom level before I gave him greens, and so when I checked later in the day to give him a frozen water bottle, he hadn't eaten them. I moved them and his dry food down to encourage eating. He hasn't eaten anything and now he is just sitting on the waterbottle (never done this before) and won't come out of his hutch. I'm going to give him Critical Care. Does this seem like a hairball (he's had one before and this seems stranger) or something that I should take to the emergency vet right away?

We're going to call the vet, but they're closed now anyway. Please help if you can!!

Sounds as though he has Dental problems and possibly secondary gut stasis. I would get him to a Vet ASAP

I would NOT syringe feed anything but water until a Vet has examined him. If he were to have a full obstruction in his GI tract syringe feeding would make things much worse.

Hope he feels better soon.

Back