• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Apple seems to have sore legs

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I've noticed for some time that Apple will often walk rather than hop. I took her to the vet about a month ago and he said he couldn't feel anything wrong but she did have a sore part where one of the others must have been too enthusiastic with grooming or she brushed against something. It wasn't infected and I was just to give metacam, but no antibiotics. The sore part has completely healed but her mobility is the same.

Took her back today and she still has pain in one leg. She has no loss of muscle tone. She has also lost a little weight - but I have noticed her Mum and sister push her away from the pellets as she is much smaller than they are. I've started feeding her separately. I asked if giving her junior pellets would help and the vet agreed that would be a good idea. I will also mix in some oats for her.

The vet said we could x-ray her. It would be about £100 which I don't have but I do have a credit card:) Whatever was found would probably only be treated by pain relief but I have said I don't want to start her on metacam at such a young age if I can possibly avoid it. I am to give her metacam for a week and see if it makes any difference to the way she moves.

She hops/runs very quickly - I couldn't catch her the other evening and she had to stay out in the run all night which worried me. I tried for half an hour, then had a rest, then went back and tried for another hour but she was just too fast for me. Usually, she will go to bed with the other two but if she doesn't want to do something - she doesn't!

I hate the idea of leaving her at the vet for an X-ray, although I could take her Mum or sister with her. She is part of a quad and I can't physically carry four bunnies so I can't take them all. I am not sure if an x-ray will help as the vet couldn't suggest any other treatment than pain relief anyway.

I suppose it would be good to know what the problem is and he did say that she wouldn't need a full GA as it would be a quick procedure but she would need to be on her back so they couldn't do it with her conscious. I just worry she may die under the anaesthetic having a procedure that isn't essential, especially as she is now underweight.

Vibes for Apple would be appreciated. The vet did say it may be that she has nothing wrong - although he did think she was showing pain on one leg when he examined her - and she is just a bunny who walks as well as hops.

Have left her tucking into carrot with tops as a treat. She's had metacam so hopefully she will feel better in herself today.

I would be inclined to get the Xray done if she is still in pain after a few days on Metacam. The weightloss may be directly associated with pain.

Hope she feels better soon xx

Thanks, Jane. I agree with you and think that is what I will do. Given that she isn't going to need a full GA I will ask if I can pick her up earlier than the end of the day so she won't have to stay in the vets for so long. My vet is only very small and so they have dogs and cats in the kennels by the rabbits:( My buns are used to cats but not dogs.

It will be difficult to tell if she has better mobility on the metacam as none of my buns are moving much during the day because of the heat - and she has always moved quickly at night, when I have been wanting her to go to bed. Hopefully, the junior pellets and oats will put some weight on her. What oats do you use for Morse, Jane? Any particular ones?

Back