• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding two male rabbits- help please!

Max's Mummy

New Kit
Hi everyone. I'm soon going to attempt bonding my two male rabbits and and I could really use some help! I'll have to give you some background, anyway.

We got our lop, Max, when he was around 5/6 months and we had him neutered not long after. After he had recovered we decided to get him a female companion...so we got Poppy, a 12 week old lop/dutch. When we took Poppy to the vets for her jabs, it turned out Poppy had man bits! So we renamed him Timmy. Now Timmy is the friendliest little bunny in the world (and is currently 5/6 months wheras Max is around 10 now), he never stops cuddling and licking me. Max is a friendly boy too but much more reserved and quite moody at times. Timmy's not neutered yet, we're going to get him done soon when we can afford it. But Max really hates him! I think Timmy is the more submissive, in fact I'd go as far as to say he's scared of Maxi. Max has bitten Timmy through the cage before when he's managed to get through our x-pen barriers. We attempted to introduce them in the bath, but nothing happened in there, they just sat side by side (I assume because they were so startled to be in the bath!), but whenever Max has had contact with Timmy otherwise, he's been aggressive.

I'm so worried about bonding them. My partner thinks it's because Timmy smells hormonal and Max doesn't like it, and says when we get Timmy neutered Max will probably calm down. I hope this is the case, because I love them both dearly and it's also so horrible when one of them has to be shut in his cage while the other has play time!

Do any of you have any advice for this process? And can someone reassure me as to whether this is likely to succeed or not? I dream of a day where I see them cuddled up together!

Thanks

2 males can work, I've got a pair, they are brothers. Some members on here have male/male pairings. But the most important thing is they must both be neutered, and leave enough time so they will have healed from the op and hormones to subside. I've no experience at all on actual bonding so hopefully someone will come along to give advice on how long post op you can attempt bonding and how is best to proceed.

Its not advised to bond two males together as they can be aggressive towards eachother and bullying can happen.

It can work - but not unless both rabbits have been neutered and enough time has been allowed for hormones to settle.

So I suggest neutering is the first step (I realise one is already neutered).

Hi, I have 2 brothers been together since birth, very loving and also Uncle Stu he has been a lone bunny for just over a year.

all neutered all outdoor buns.

I let Stu free range and left the two little one in their run and there was some growling and biting attempts so i was unsure if a trio would be possible, however, i have let all of them in the garden together with both hutches open and they got on OK Stu did some head humping but other than that no aggression or fur pulling at all in the open.

they spent about half an hour in Stu's run all together of their own doing and got on fine.

I was told at the pet show boys need more room to bond so that if any fighting does take place they can easily escape and not get cornered.

This seems to be working with mine, I plan to get another Runaround link from run to run so that they can choose where they go:D

Good luck be brave and patient it can work there are plenty of 'Boy' couples on here, and also people with more experience and lots of different advice, see what works for your buns.
:thumb:

Ive got a m/f bonded pair, both neutered, then a 4 month old un-neutered male who is being 'done' soon. my boys see each other through the mesh and have been ok. The un neutered runs up and down the aviary against ozzie rubbing his chin and ozzie does the same. the baby has sprayed a couple of times whilst running, both times catching me!
I think Ozzie does smell that Stanley is entire and they way they both poo when near each other is unbelievable

Quite a few have m/m bonds, I think it just takes a bit more time and you have to proceed slower, least ways Im hoping that's the case as I will be bonding mine into a trio this summer.

Hi, I have 2 brothers been together since birth, very loving and also Uncle Stu he has been a lone bunny for just over a year.

all neutered all outdoor buns.

I let Stu free range and left the two little one in their run and there was some growling and biting attempts so i was unsure if a trio would be possible, however, i have let all of them in the garden together with both hutches open and they got on OK Stu did some head humping but other than that no aggression or fur pulling at all in the open.

they spent about half an hour in Stu's run all together of their own doing and got on fine.

I was told at the pet show boys need more room to bond so that if any fighting does take place they can easily escape and not get cornered.

This seems to be working with mine, I plan to get another Runaround link from run to run so that they can choose where they go:D

Good luck be brave and patient it can work there are plenty of 'Boy' couples on here, and also people with more experience and lots of different advice, see what works for your buns.
:thumb:

Thanks very much! and thank you to everyone for your helpful advice :) we are going to get Timmy 'done' soon. Luckily, unlike Max did, he hasn't taken to humping our legs every five seconds so it's not too unbearable!

Thanks very much! and thank you to everyone for your helpful advice :) we are going to get Timmy 'done' soon. Luckily, unlike Max did, he hasn't taken to humping our legs every five seconds so it's not too unbearable!

I would advise neutering as soon as possible - then you can start bonding and, hopefully, you'll have a very happy couple!

Back