• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has anyone ever had their bunnies made into a scarf?

Britannia

Warren Scout
My mother-in-law phoned me last night to tell me all about the wonderful new fleece she's been given and how perfect it would be for my two rabbits, Bob and Kizzy.

At first i was totally confused thinking that even if I could get either of my two to wear a little wool coat they wouldn't need it as they are indoor bunnies. But actually she wants me to collect their fur as I groom them so she can add it to the mix when she spins the fleece into wool. They aren't angora rabbits but my mother-in-law doesn't seem to think that will be a problem.

Has anyone ever collected their rabbits fur for spinning? I can't help thinking it'll take a few years to collect a decent amount of fur.

I've often thought about it, but wouldn't know how to go about it! :? And i didn't think i could collect enough fur either :(

My mother-in-law phoned me last night to tell me all about the wonderful new fleece she's been given and how perfect it would be for my two rabbits, Bob and Kizzy.

At first i was totally confused thinking that even if I could get either of my two to wear a little wool coat they wouldn't need it as they are indoor bunnies. But actually she wants me to collect their fur as I groom them so she can add it to the mix when she spins the fleece into wool. They aren't angora rabbits but my mother-in-law doesn't seem to think that will be a problem.

Has anyone ever collected their rabbits fur for spinning? I can't help thinking it'll take a few years to collect a decent amount of fur.

That made me laugh out loud :lol:

I love the idea of a scarf made from your buns fur :love:

I used to know someone who had Angoras and just took the fur as she groomed them.

Someone else I know collected fur while her bunny was alive and then when he passed away made the fur into a little stuffed bunny :love:

I have a severe allergy to all hair be it animal or human:roll: ( Only I can have this!) but I am not allergic to bunny fluff:thumb:

I am even allergic to my own hair when it is cut and have a race against time to get home from hairdresser ( no more than 10 mins away) to get into the shower and get the bits of hair off me or I come out in huge bleeding lumps:shock:

so if someone can knit me a cardigan purely from bunny fur I would be well pleased as I could actually wear it!

I have thought about this but just not really got around to it -the girls sleep on a fabric covered chair in the kitchen so there is always loads of rabbit fluff flying about there!

I've also thought about it as Benjie seems to be in continuous moult & I've no idea how fur even gets onto the ceiling!!!!

You'd find it incredibly warm but slow to collect enough.

I think it's more or less the same as sheep's wool but doesn't need to be cleaned 1st.
You'll need to "card it" to align the fibers for spinning. That's like 2 small bats with fine metal prongs & you rub them together transferring the wool from one to the other.
Distaff spinning is actually quite easy & relaxing when you get the hang of it.

I know you can mix some fibres but don't know how. A mix of sheep's wool & rabbit might be nice if possible.?

I think it won't work for normal bunny hair as angora hair is slightly different as they have no undercoat so it's the upper coat and guardhairs that are longer, but normal buns, most of the moult is undercoat. You could try it, but the hairs are so short it probably won't spin.

I think it won't work for normal bunny hair as angora hair is slightly different as they have no undercoat so it's the upper coat and guardhairs that are longer, but normal buns, most of the moult is undercoat. You could try it, but the hairs are so short it probably won't spin.

That's really interesting. You've spurred me to a challenge now!! :lol:
I notice a big difference between Thumper's moultings & Benjie. Thumper's just vacuumed up simply. Benjie's stick to everything, I have to use a stiff bristle brush to get them up before hoovering. They stick to my sheets, clothes the lot & make tiny "rolls". Have you any thoughts why this should be so?
Also do you have any thoughts about mixing fibres?

I collected two bags of hair from my cashmere buns over the winter. I'm mixing it up with hair from an alpaca fleece and am busy spinning it. My buns' hair is rather short because I keep them partly clipped. The bunny/alpaca mix is incredibly soft and really nice to work with albeit a bit tricky (I'm new it spinning so this is an experiment). It is spinning into gorgeous wool but I haven't started knitting it yet. I think the main problem is that because cashmire hair is fairly short that the final product may well 'shed' i.e. moult so I'll be moulting like a bunny all winter! I met someone with an angora bun who has promised to save me her bun's fur which I am looking forward to! I wouldn't think of buy it commercially as it comes from China and is battery farmed :cry:

:shock: I thought from the title you meant the entire bunny and not just moulted fur!!:lol:

Bunnies moulted fur!! In my head I added the moulted:oops:

This is why I so rarely post lol

Mirth -The mother-in-law uses a spinning wheel, belongs to a spinning club that does exhibitions at County Shows and I have absolutely no idea what she's talking about half the time. :shock: But she seems convinced that the shortness of the 'staple' (I think that's what she call it) won't be a problem. And who am I to disagree with the MIL. As for distaff spinning 'easy and relaxing'? I am sooo not the crafty type :( I don't think I could ever get the hang of it.

thumps_ - It's all down to my mother-in-law so luckily I won't have to do any of the work with the exception of grooming which i do anyway.

I've started collecting in earnest now. Kizzy loves to be groomed as soon as she sees the brush she flops down with a "Pamper me! Pamper me NOW!!!" attitude. Bob's more "Leave me alone Woman!" So I think the finished article will probably be 80% sheep's wool 18% Kizzy & only 2% Bob.

Bunnies moulted fur!! In my head I added the moulted:oops:

This is why I so rarely post lol

Mirth -The mother-in-law uses a spinning wheel, belongs to a spinning club that does exhibitions at County Shows and I have absolutely no idea what she's talking about half the time. :shock: But she seems convinced that the shortness of the 'staple' (I think that's what she call it) won't be a problem. And who am I to disagree with the MIL. As for distaff spinning 'easy and relaxing'? I am sooo not the crafty type :( I don't think I could ever get the hang of it.

thumps_ - It's all down to my mother-in-law so luckily I won't have to do any of the work with the exception of grooming which i do anyway.

I've started collecting in earnest now. Kizzy loves to be groomed as soon as she sees the brush she flops down with a "Pamper me! Pamper me NOW!!!" attitude. Bob's more "Leave me alone Woman!" So I think the finished article will probably be 80% sheep's wool 18% Kizzy & only 2% Bob.

Britania I also sometimes misread but have some words I'm very very likely to get wrong. My nightmare is micro orgANISms. How on earth did I end up with an interest in stasis, dysbiosis & bunny pooh :shock: I think it was Thumper's revenge.:lol:

That's very interesting about your Mum in law. I haven't done much spinning. I only did it when I lived on Shetland where I had a go at most of the things they did. I did know that they mixed the soft Shetland wool with Marina wool or the lovely jumpers would have worn out in no time.

That's very interesting about your Mum in law. I haven't done much spinning. I only did it when I lived on Shetland where I had a go at most of the things they did. I did know that they mixed the soft Shetland wool with Marina wool or the lovely jumpers would have worn out in no time.

She is an extremely talented lady, you'll get no jokes about mother in laws from me. In fact if I ever get divorced I'm keeping his parents as part of the divorce settlement. :)

I'll take pictures of the finished article and post them but it maybe a year or two. :shock:

I have a severe allergy to all hair be it animal or human:roll: ( Only I can have this!) but I am not allergic to bunny fluff:thumb:

I am even allergic to my own hair when it is cut and have a race against time to get home from hairdresser ( no more than 10 mins away) to get into the shower and get the bits of hair off me or I come out in huge bleeding lumps:shock:

so if someone can knit me a cardigan purely from bunny fur I would be well pleased as I could actually wear it!

Haha too late! I can't touch any hair or fur but bunny fur!
Exactly the same situation here! If I touch a dog it cat or I'm a the hairdressers, my eyes will swell up! Horrible experience:(

Back