• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Care for immobile rabbit: update she's gone :(

touie

Wise Old Thumper
Ok I need some help with bella she has been progressively losing the use of her back legs over the last year and now is really at the stage where she can only use them if I support her, she drags herself around the garden on the grass!

I have modified her housing so that it is floor level (she now has a playhouse), I have replaced the litter tray with a dog bed (low side) so that she can get in and out easier although its still a struggle sometimes :( I have a puppy pad and hay in the dog bed!

I've been checking her daily, she keeps her bottom clean herself but often lies in wee so I have been shampooing her and towel drying regularly, she favours one side to lie on and I am worried About sores developing and obviously flies where she is damp!

I need advice on what else I can do for her, she's outside and doesn't really like being in the house?

Last edited:
The vet thinks its a spinal problem she's due back in a few weeks for another check, really after advice on making her more comfortable now esp with this heat

I assume she's having daily Metacam ?

What is the floor of the playhouse covered with ? Rubber stable matting would provide good traction to assist her mobility and also it may help reduce the risk of sore hocks. Have you checked her hocks ? Unfortunately unless you completely dry her fur after washing her (ie with a hair dryier on a cool setting) she will be at even more risk of developing sores and also at more risk of Flystrike.

Good protection from flies is essential, so fly-netting/fly-strips/an electricity powered fly-zapper/citonella etc

I just have Lino on the floor so rubber might be a good idea ill look into the stable matting!

She's looking worse today I think I'm going to need the vet this week, I have to go to work in a min and I don't really want to leave her! I've tucked a puppy pad under her lower half she keeps weeing and lying in it and I don't know how to keep her clean :(

I just have Lino on the floor so rubber might be a good idea ill look into the stable matting!

She's looking worse today I think I'm going to need the vet this week, I have to go to work in a min and I don't really want to leave her! I've tucked a puppy pad under her lower half she keeps weeing and lying in it and I don't know how to keep her clean :(

Can you drop her off at the Vet on your way to work ? She really cant be left alone if she is as bad as your description sounds :cry:

I started at 7.30 but will be back at lunch, got my mum on the case to fly proof the house!

Well she looked brighter when I came home from work yesterday so I delayed the vets appt. she stood up a bit and was eating and seemed to be enjoying the grass but when I looked in this morning, she hadnt moved at all over night and hadnt eaten, so I hand fed her and made a vets appt for this afternoon but I don't think it's going to be good news 😞

Well she looked brighter when I came home from work yesterday so I delayed the vets appt. she stood up a bit and was eating and seemed to be enjoying the grass but when I looked in this morning, she hadnt moved at all over night and hadnt eaten, so I hand fed her and made a vets appt for this afternoon but I don't think it's going to be good news 

:cry:

The vet said it would be kindest to put her to sleep, she had no feeling at all on her right side, and she drifted off quickly 😢

Back