• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is 3 a crowd?

I had no intention of re-homing another rabbit, much as I love :love: my two buns. They are both female, neutered and love each other. They have a playhouse and run, life is good.

Hubby works with someone who has a male rabbit. Someone is emigrating to Australia. Buck is 10 years old and Someone and family didn't expect him to live this long :( but he has. They are not emigrating until after Christmas. They do not know what to do with their bunny. I know that rescues are full and that, in reality, a 10 year old rabbit will not be the easiest to rehome.

I have been wondering whether it would be possible to bond him with our girls, or whether it would just upset the apple cart? There is "room" for one more, though I wouldn't seek another addition myself. I just wonder whether he could live out his life here...however long that might be for. Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

I had no intention of re-homing another rabbit, much as I love :love: my two buns. They are both female, neutered and love each other. They have a playhouse and run, life is good.

Hubby works with someone who has a male rabbit. Someone is emigrating to Australia. Buck is 10 years old and Someone and family didn't expect him to live this long :( but he has. They are not emigrating until after Christmas. They do not know what to do with their bunny. I know that rescues are full and that, in reality, a 10 year old rabbit will not be the easiest to rehome.

I have been wondering whether it would be possible to bond him with our girls, or whether it would just upset the apple cart? There is "room" for one more, though I wouldn't seek another addition myself. I just wonder whether he could live out his life here...however long that might be for. Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Is he neutered ?

Bonding into an established pair is always a risk- worst case scenario is that the newbie causes the bonded pair to fall out and you end up with 3 single Rabbits. However, it can work out in some cases, there is just no way of knowing til you try. So you'd need to consider if you were going to take him on could you cope if things did not work out ?

Is the male neutered? I should imagine neutering a 10 year old would be risky and you couldn't introduce an entire buck to your bunnies. As Jane has said above, a trio can work but you also risk breaking up an otherwise happy bond and potentially ending up with 3 single bunnies. That probably wouldn't happen BUT you have to be prepared for it.

ETA - just realised I've almost copied what Jane said :lol:.

I put a boy in with my two sisters, and it was easy and one of the best things I have ever done. He was older too :)

Just have to be aware that if it doesn't work out you need to have a backup plan, as in, spare housing and be willing to get a 4th so the third isn't on its own. Saying that though, my bond was easy peasy.

Thank you. I am not sure about the neutering but the guy's wife is a Vet Nurse so I would assume he would be. He has always been a lone bunny, which I find heartbreaking.

I guess perhaps I just take him as a single bunny as he will be no worse off but can at least have a good retirement here and don't try to over complicate it by mixing him in with the girls.

Thanks all,
Jenny

Back