• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Monty please.

xClairex

Alpha Buck
One of our rabbits (the tri-coloured boy in my avatar) was rushed to the vets this morning.
He seemed 'off' yesterday and we called the vets who said it was probably the heat. Monty had been outside nibbling the grass but wasn't as energetic as usual.

This morning he refused breakfast, wouldn't take any treats, and was sitting hunched up so we took him to the vets.

They said that his tummy is empty, he's dehydrated, his temperature is low and they have kept him in and put him on a drip, given him painkillers and a gut stimulant and are going to try and make him better.
They have said if he doesn't improve by tomorrow then we should think about having him pts :cry:
Surely even if a bunny goes into statis they can get better?

Please can we have some vibes for little Monty.

Sending vibes for Monty xxx

I also think the vet is being hasty. My girls certainly have had bouts of stasis which have taken longer to get through. Hopefully the fluids and meds will perk him up a lot xxx

Thanks everyone.

So far the vet hasn't really told us anything. Just about him being put on a drip. Oh and they checked his teeth and they are all fine.
As soon as we got him there they examined him and just rushed him off and told us to call back at 3.30pm.

We all think them talking about pts is not right. Not so soon.

I'll update this when we've called the vets in a bit.

Really really hoping Monty is ok.

The first time Big had stasis I went to a vet that wasn't my normal one, as she was unavailable. She mentioned PTS, and said 'I won't lie to you, rabbits don't usually survive this'.

She scared the bejeezes out of me and it turned out she was talking total pants anyway. Stasis is not necessarily a death sentence if you catch it early and treat it right.

For Big, the 'cure' was gut stimulant, subcutaneous fluid, then home for almost continual massage. Others will probably advise against this but I personally didn't even attempt to syringe feed for the first few hours after the injection as it caused him far too much stress.

No matter how much he hated it, I would keep up the gentle massage of his guts all night and eventually he would poo and nibble.

This happen to Big about 6 times in his short life, I think some buns are just prone to it. But if they're leaping to PTS, I'd see another vet! There's lots that can be tried.

Well Monty is home and doing great!

They did keep him in overnight just to make sure he was ok (their vet nurse is there overnight) and he was, by this morning he was eating, pooping and hopping all over the place so we went and picked him up at lunchtime.

He then spent the afternoon lounging in the garden :love:

Well Monty is home and doing great!

They did keep him in overnight just to make sure he was ok (their vet nurse is there overnight) and he was, by this morning he was eating, pooping and hopping all over the place so we went and picked him up at lunchtime.

He then spent the afternoon lounging in the garden :love:

Fantastic news !! :D

Back