• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How high can rabbits jump?

Sam and Truffs

Mama Doe
Or rather jump off...
We have a large 2 storey indoor cage the buns use as their base (they free range the downstairs of the house), and as it's next to the sofa, they discovered they could jump onto it, as well as the windowsill. We've solved the problem of open windows, and we've put carpet tiles on top of the cage to stop them getting their legs stuck, but I get them down whenever I see them up there as I'm worried that they'll jump/fall straight to the floor from up there (and chew the curtains next to it). It's about 4 ft to jump onto the floor. Am I worrying about nothing?

I still have no idea with my lot. Generally they decide when something is too high, and then won't jump down themselves and will sit staring at me until I go get them :roll: I usually just keep some form of steps up to any high places that I discover they can jump to.

As with anything living and heights, it's not how far/high they jump, it's how they land.

As they appear to jump up from the sofa then that's probably how they get back down, but just to be certain I'd perhaps fashion something like a ladder so they have another exit option, just in case.

It's just another part of their quest for house domination I think! At the moment, they come down reluctantly on to the sofa (with me pushing their bottoms a bit). I've discovered them asleep on there in the last week when I've come back in from the school run, so I'm slightly concerned that they're going to flop themselves over the edge. Possibly it's time to get rid of all but the base of the cage (as a giant litter tray) but the problem is they really like the top floor which has a little platform in it they sleep on. Really they can't both fit on it anymore but they do their best and every so often one of them falls off onto the hay. If we took the cage away I'd need to think of something else they could sleep on I think.

Back