• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some good news for rabbits.

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
I like the shop where I get Benjie's food. They sell everything you could wish for small furries & have about 4-6 piggies at a time. They only sell 1 litter of rabbits a year. They're kept in 2 separate enclosures 6'x6' with lots of tunnels & toys. There are printed notices about basic care & the need to neuter on the enclosures.
Sarah the owner's 10 year old lionhead now boards there over winter.
They've never sold hutches.

Yesterday they had a standard commercial hutch on display, you know the dreaded 2 hop hutch.
There was a large notice:
NOT FOR SALE
THIS HUTCH IS TOO SMALL FOR ANY OF THE ANIMALS WE SELL.
My heart leaped for joy!:D

I just wish .........

This is great! Name them!

They're called Pet Shed & are locally owned.
We've another local pet shop/hardware store in the next village which stopped selling rabbits completely about 6 years ago & only sells a few hamsters & lots of pet food now.

In both cases the owners were upset about the fate of their animals & obviously found that they were a going concern, if they limited themselves to good feed & toys only.
So I get any hardware from the village shop, & Benjie's food from Pet Shed.

I'm delighted that the news has pleased you all as much as me. :D

I'm wondering whether we'd get better results by befriending our local pet shops, & after time, very gradually & politely, suggest they reduce the live pets & concentrate more on the food & toys, actually increasing their profits.
I can say that the local shops sell a much better hay which is locally sourced.

That is amazing if only more were like that :)

My local pet shop sells no live animals and all of the rabbits toys etc are really cheap so I always go there an support them :)

That's fantastic news. :thumb::D:D
I also find mine to be cheap. It's great to be able to vote with our feet & purses!

Back